Help! Advice please!

Flitstick
Flitstick Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,
Can someone help me please?
I am looking to buy a Ridgeback Velocity women's bike. It doesn't front suspension. Due to a previous wrist injury, I would prefer front suspension - is it possible to retrofit front suspension? Is it advisable? If so, has anyone got any advice on brands, models, pitfalls etc. It won't be for heavy off-road use - my wrist couldn't take that in any event - mainly country tracks and roads.
Any advice ASAP gratefully received.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Welcome to the forum!

Are you a new cyclist?

I broke my scaphoid 12 weeks ago and needed surgery to fix it, and it is pretty sore when I ride (been back at it 2 weeks now), but I wouldn't dream of using suspension forks on a road bike... no idea if it's possible though.

If you wrist really is sore, I'd just use good padded gloves, thick spongy bar tape and take the weight off the wrist slightly when going over bumps...

Honestly I think this would be best...

What's the nature of your wrist injury? Could you have physio etc to improve it?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    PS just googled your bike and I see it's a Hybrid... To be honest, you may not get your best advice in this (road) forum...

Maybe try commuting?

If you chose to buy a road bike (the best idea, obviously), then ask away here!
  • Flitstick
    Thank you ...
    I spent an age trying to work out which bit to put this on!
    My gut feeling is that it's not going to be a good idea and to just buy what I need.
    My injury involved the scaphoid and other bits and pieces within my wrist. Upshot was I had to have all of it fiddled with and I now have a reduced range of movement. It just means I have to try and look after it a bit. Hence the suspension idea - just thought it might help take any impact away from my wrist.
    Going for a hybrid as it also means I'm sitting upright a little more and so I figure I'll be putting a bit less stress on my wrist by not leaning forward as much.
    All ideas gratefully received!
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I have a different view of flat bars versus drops as I find drop bars more comfortable. Undoubtedly on the drops you are leant forward and in your situation not good for the wrist. That said riding on the hoods or flat on the bar tops is far better than a standard flat bar allowing you to change hand position during a ride which helps prevent numbness or hand discomfort. You can also fit extra brake levers to the flat part of the drop bars to allow you to brake without moving your hands.

Only mention as it may be worth not discounting a road bike in your choice list.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A non suspension hybrid of reasonable quality is hard to find. Ridgeback make one of the few available.
    It makes no sense to seek out this bike, then, at great expense, turn it into a common-all-garden suspension-fork hybrid. If you want a suspension hybrid, buy one: there are squillions to chose from.

If you have a wrist issue, then you should take care which handlebar you use. Flat MTB style bars force the rider to bend the wrists. I fitted On-One Marys to give a more neutral wrist position.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The commuting forum may be a good place to look - but from my limited experience (my wife had carpal tunnel surgery and took a while to recover) I would recommend the most upright position with swept back bars. it's not going to be fast but it'll probably be the most comfortable. Something more this shape http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec024956 (though not necessarily that bike - just quickly browsed some bike images).
  • Flitstick
    Thank you everyone.
    Afte looking through the options, I quickly realised it was a daft idea to do anything other than buy a bike with a suspension fork fitted, right from the off. I also realised that as much as it might not be what I would want had I not shattered my wrist, a bike which forces me to sit up more and not put my weight on my wrists the best option.
    Thank you for including ideas and pics of might work for me; I have been and will keep on looking until I find the right thing. And it goes without saying, if anyone does have any advice, gratefully received ...