Mavic Ksyrium rims

alec44
alec44 Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi there, just purchased some Mavic Ksyrium wheels (2009) and need to replace the rims because they've become worn. Does anyone have any rim recommendations that would fit these wheels?

Thanks

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Yes Mavic Ksyrium rims!
    Why on earth did you buy a pair of wheels with worn out rims??????
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Did you research replacement Ksyrium rims before buying the wheels? You maybe in for a shock if you didn't, they ain't cheap I'm afraid.
  • surfgod
    surfgod Posts: 97
    I do apologise for being the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid mavic designed their wheels not to be user servicable.
    In theory they can be repaired if a replacment rim can be sourced, but these are around £80 each though and as rare as hens teeth. The main problem is, the spoke nipples tend to become permanently affixed to the rim due to oxidation of the alloy.

Before you begin, spray those spoke nipples several times with lots of penatrating oil like WD-40, and let it soak in for several days. Don't forget these rims are of different design front and rear.

Slowly begin to unscrew the spoke nipples evenly all round the rim until there is almost zero spoke tension, tape the new rim to the old rim in several places. Then begin your rim transplant one spoke at a time.... .

Also use a bladed spoke holder, to stop those spokes twisting and breaking as you unscrew them.
    You might also buy a few spare spokes again these are front and rear specific...If you have the SL wheels they are made from zicral alloy the elites are stainless steel.

It's a real pity these wheels are so difficult to work on, as they offer incredible perfomance - strong, light and fast... But not very durable .... and not too expensive either....

I was very lucky to sell my Ksyrium SL wheels while they still had some life left in em.
    To be honest, I can't see myself buying another pair until mavic start making their spare parts more widely available and sell them at reasonable prices.....