ESIgrips

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Anyone tried these things? Esigrips.com

My LBS persuaded me to try some - I went in for some lockons but they got me to try these on a you'll like 'em or your money back deal. Cheaper than lockons, apparently stick solid, hard wearing, perfection.

Put them on this afternoon, need 24 hours to dry (you wet both surfaces with windowcleaner to position them) so may try them on a quick jolly tomorrow evening.

Fitted to my BigHit so will see some DH action - if they work will get some for the xc bike too as it needs new ones.

they were $20 something dollars around £15.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why? Decent lock ons are under a tenner and somewhat easier to get off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    cooldad wrote:
    Why? Decent lock ons are under a tenner and somewhat easier to get off.

I kinda agree.

I've got a pair fitted to the Karma, purely because they weigh nothing at all and I wanted to build it as light as possible, as cheaply as possible. They're comfy enough I guess, although if they get wet (and I do mean like properly sodden) they can start to move about a bit.

I use "proper" grips on my other bikes though because I prefer the feel.
  • paul.skibum
    It does tend to be dry and dusty here for the summer so getting them wet is not likely to be an issue - the guy who sold them to me said he'd had his on for 2 years which is more than any lockon I ever bought lasted for.

He said If I hated them I could bring them back and he'd refund me so I figured I'd try them - they are on my DH oriented bike though so I am not sure.

I need new grips for my xc bike too - I will prob go for the more widely accepted lockons for there unless I really love hese esis
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Yeh, they do last ages, and I also find they're more comfy than rubber grips if you're not wearing gloves. They do a good job on rigid bikes of absorbing some trail buzz too.

You know how it is with contact points though, it's very much a personal preference thing
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And they are a pain if your kit on the bars do not have split clamps. Or the kit you want to add does not have split clamps.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mgs
    mgs Posts: 12
    I have used them for a while. No problems with fitting them (hairspray) and they dont move even when completely soaked. They can also be easily removed (again a squirt of hairspray when pulling the grips away from the bars with a screwdriver or similar) and I have found them to be very comfortable so won't go back to lock ons.

MGS
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fair enough if you use hairspray. Does Brylcreem work as well?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    I tried them out just on a quick run into the village - they feel really good - grippy, didnt move on the bars even when I gripped them and twisted, were a good size and a positive feel. I didnt get on any real rough stuff but jumped off a few lumps, manualled a bit and tried some sharp, enthusisatic turns (until I realised I hadnt pumped my tyres up enough!).

Liking the feel of the big hit too - need to play with the susopension settings though - rebound too slow.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Run these on both my bikes now and must say I prefer them to all the lock ons I have run before.