Methylated spirits ok for removing bike sticker adhesive ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I took a vinyl sticker off my bike using the hot hairdryer method ,there are a few areas where some adhesive was left behind. I read on a site that the stubborn stuff can be removed using meths, anybody able to say if its safe to use that stuff on a carbon frame ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    Meths will remove the residue adhesive but I would be a little cautious about using it.
    It won’t affect the carbon fibre as the resins in that have already been oven cured and will resist it no problem but if there is any paint or lacquers on there it might damage those.
    A far safer way of getting rid would be something like paraffin or kerosene, something along those lines. They will dissolve it just as easy and won’t do any harm to any plastics or paints etc.

Source: I work with this kind of stuff every day.
  • Raffles
    JonnyJH wrote:
    Meths will remove the residue adhesive but I would be a little cautious about using it.
    It won’t affect the carbon fibre as the resins in that have already been oven cured and will resist it no problem but if there is any paint or lacquers on there it might damage those.
    A far safer way of getting rid would be something like paraffin or kerosene, something along those lines. They will dissolve it just as easy and won’t do any harm to any plastics or paints etc.

Source: I work with this kind of stuff every day.

Would petrol do the job safely ?
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    Hummmm, petrol can still be quite nasty so I might avoid it. Equally diesel probably won’t shift it. White spirit is prob a good second best though :)
    The other problem with alcohols is although it dissolves the glue once it has evaporated glue residue often remains as it doesn’t actually break the glue down permanently.
    But now I’m rambling... lol
  • kuota
    kuota Posts: 19
    use wd40
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I find that just rubbing it with a thumb works well after wiping the sticky area with a baby wipe, takes a few goes as your flesh gets gummed up a bit but it really does work.
  • Don't use petrol.

The vapour is really flammable - there's plenty of stories of people who've burned down the shed/garage/house

It's really poisonous - it can be absorbed through the skin so if you have to use it wear gloves.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    Agree with WD40 - we use it all the time to remove glue from all sorts of things at home.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • Raffles
    Keith57 wrote:
    Agree with WD40 - we use it all the time to remove glue from all sorts of things at home.

I take it wd40 wont damage the gloss finish on a carbon frame ?
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Not at all. Resins in CFRP (both epoxy, poly and phelonic) will resist almost ALL chemical attack provided you dont have any damaged areas or fiber ends. However as said above, the paint may be different. MOST factory finished use either powder coat electrostatic paint or a 2-pac clear coat (which hardens chemically like epoxy resin) so will be very resistant to most things you can get your hands on.

In any case lighter fluid is always a good, safe and effective bet.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Anyway... bact to the point, WD40 is quite safe on the paint and carbon.
  • Raffles
    RPD Steve wrote:
    Not at all. Resins in CFRP (both epoxy, poly and phelonic) will resist almost ALL chemical attack provided you dont have any damaged areas or fiber ends. However as said above, the paint may be different. MOST factory finished use either powder coat electrostatic paint or a 2-pac clear coat (which hardens chemically like epoxy resin) so will be very resistant to most things you can get your hands on.

In any case lighter fluid is always a good, safe and effective bet.

Ive got a little can of lighter fluid , which the americans call naptha and use for wiping stubborn sweat marks from guitar bodies..................you are saying this will do no damage to the finish on a carbon frame ?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...not unless you are smoking at the time :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    +1 for wd40
    With any other solvents one of the worst to use is Acetone, or anything that contains it, such as some nail polish removers. I used to work with fibreglass and different types of resin. And we used Acetone for cleaning the brushes rollers etc, as it can disolve even cured resin.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I find that just rubbing it with a thumb works well after wiping the sticky area with a baby wipe, takes a few goes as your flesh gets gummed up a bit but it really does work.
    lol - baby wipes are a work of genius - if they can get the toxic mustard coloured gloop off my newborn sons arse, then they can get anything off anything - FACT !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack