Open Light Systems Battery

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I am doing the Dunwich Dynamo ride next week and I'm looking at my light options for the night ride. I have a Magicshine MJ-816 which came with the standard battery, the running time on these isn't brilliant so I was considering getting the Open Light Systems 8.7Ah battery, which claims to be a lot better. My thinking is that the two batteries together should see me through the night, I do have the Exposure Flash & Flare set as a back up. Does anyone have any experience with the Open Light Systems Battery or maybe know of a better way to spend £80.00 on providing ample light for dark country roads, as the likelihood of having a moonlit night this summer looks very slim.

Any tips much appreciated.

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I can't imagine you'll need full beam for most of the ride, but you can pick up spare Magicshine batteries on eBay for about £17 or an 'enduro' one for a bit more (basically 6 cells instead of the normal 4).

I bought an 'enduro' one last year after my original died. I can do 3hr + offroad on full beam no problem.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Hopefully full beam will not be necessary, don't think the battery would last more than a couple of hours on full. I am sure riding in a group with all the lights together should provide enough light to see the way. Just would rather have a back up in case something was to happen, faulty battery maybe or getting left on my own! Scared.gif