Canyon Pilo gear hanger shipping times?

Scratch n soda
Scratch n soda Posts: 52
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi there,

Just ordered a gear hanger from Pilo. This is a replacement for my canyon one as canyons make are so incredibly rubbish... got through 4 in 6 weeks. Any experiance on this company? i used standard shipping which is 4 euros, but becuase it is shipped from isreal i have no idea on the shipping times :)

regards,

Jack Miers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would be looking at why you are damaging the hangers so often.

Something is wrong with the set up or your riding.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I thought the exact same thing, however i have found ALOT of other people get through an awful lot of hangers... I have checked the rear drop out, installed the hanger straight and i belive my chain tension is correct...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But how are you breaking them? Crashing?
    They are made to bend or break instead of the frame, so shouldn't be too strong, but shouldn't fail under normal riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    When is it failing?

What were you doing?
    What gear(s) were you in?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    They fail under normal riding without any impact. The Pilo ones usually arrive within 7 days.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    There must be something weird happening, I've ridden hundreds of miles on mine with no problems.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • goodeg
    goodeg Posts: 4
    I've gone through 4 gear hangers in the last 12 months on my Nerve AM. They do seem to be incredibly soft. Each time they have broken through normal riding. I had never broken one before getting my Canyon.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Canyon hangers are made out of recycled milk bottle tops and will bend if you say boo to them.

My Pilo hanger arrived in 9 days but it was ordered on a friday so might not have been processed for a couple of days.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poppit
    After 12 months+ of riding mine it's the only bit I can fault. I've broken 2 and my wife's broken 1 on her Grand Canyon. They've all broken in the same place, next to the left hand bolt hole, there's not a lot of metal there so if it's generally too soft then it's the likeliest place for it to break. I've been riding with a Pilo one for a few months without any problems. My advice is not to order any Canyon spares with your bike but to order one of the Pilo ones, they come in different colours as well which is always nice.

Edit: Forgot, my Reverb also packed up but that's more of a Rockshox issue than Canyon.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Unfortunatley mine have failed under normal riding. |one on a commute to cambridge down the guided busway, another just cycling to the shop in my village :( Hopefully PILo ones will be better.. although i dont know how, perhaps they are made of a different material?
  • poppit
    Pilo ones are CNC machined aluminium, the Canyon are not.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR