Qs on shock problems and frame size?

One 80
One 80 Posts: 62
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
hi. first post but been lurking for a while but i have a few questions if anyone could answer please.

firstly i bought a carrera kraken and in 3 wks the fork lockout wasnt holding as it first was. it would still bounce 30mm on lockout. the preload had stuck solid and i could not move it.
halfords told me the bounce on lockout was normal but i didnt beleive that so is it normal??

secondly i gave up on kraken and got a boardman comp instead yest but my question is how do i work out what size frame it is please?
i ordered 18 but the frame has no markings or sticker like the carrera so i measured from bottom of crank housing to top of seat clamp and its 19inch but centre of crank to top of seat clamp is 18. as boardman do a 18 and 19 frame im not sure what iv got.

thanks in advance for help
Boardman comp 2012

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes most forks have some movement on lock out.

What forks?

Ask Boardman (Halfords) how they measure the frames.

But normally the lower measurement is the canter of the axel but the top varies.

But does it matter if it is the right size?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    thanks nick.

it doesnt really matter i suppose but to be honest i would not trust halfords to get the size right so iv been checking myself. kraken was 20 frame as advised by staff but had no stand height over frame. boardman is less than 50mm on 18 frame and im 5.11 so wondered if they given me 19 frame. its 18 to crank centre so sounds like it is 18 then.

also the forks on kraken are suntour xcr. its gone back now has preload was stuck anyway so exchanged for boardman.

thanks again
    Boardman comp 2012