noisy rock shox (NEW!)

Bigun6767
Bigun6767 Posts: 81
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,can anyone shed some light on this? I purchaced some rock shox xc30tk forks this week (new from merlin cycles).Fitted them no problem but on the test ride i noticed quite a pronounced squeak?/woosh noise from them under compression.I have tried altering the preload to no avail.With the lock out on they make a noise under severe compression but thats just the blow off valve.I have seen a few videos on you tube with people experiencing the same noise.Any ideas or should i post them back and get an exchange set?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Hmm, try using some fork lube/chain lube on the stanchions as the seals may be dry. Other than that, there could be a problem with the damper. A normal noise for a fork to make is a sort of squelching, which happens when oil is pushed through the damper.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Forks do make noises as the oil moves and the air moves. Just make sur the cables are not catching on anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Could be your rebound damper. My Recon's make a "oily squelch" when working.

Thanks.
  • Bigun6767
    Thanks for the input.Perhaps its because ive just gone from suntour xcr forks which i believe dont have oil in to rock shox that do?The suntours seem to have a firmer spring rate. I have noticed that on the SRAM website they list 4 different springs for different riders weights.From reading this i will need the firmest spring (black).Do you think this may help?....oh,by the way there were two plastic rings/spacers ithe package with the new forks.Any ideas?Travel adjust?
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Some Rock Shox forks come with a spare set of seals, but prob best to post a picky of what they came with so we can take a look - if they look something like this then their spare seals for when you service them:
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/catalogue/image.aspx?img_id=943e9b57-c472-481c-b2c6-9db100c9d992#
  • Bigun6767
    Here are the items in kit.Also if i turn the rebound to quick/off noise goes.
  • nicklouse
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    Here are the items in kit.Also if i turn the rebound to quick/off noise goes.
    Those are travel reduction spacers.

Re fork springs how much sag are you getting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Bigun6767
    I measured the sag with the preload wound all the way off and got 23mm..Does this sound a lot considering it's a 100mm fork? Or too many cakes? I'm 15 stone if this helps the calculation.
  • nicklouse
    sounds right.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    Also if i turn the rebound to quick/off noise goes.

Definitely a normal noise too - just the oil going through the holes to slow down the rebound...