Commute route Derby-Nottingham

missgroover
missgroover Posts: 263
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
I'm considering breaking out the hybrid and riding into work over the summer, just wondered if anyone had any ideas of a less busy road route than the obvious A52?
Thanks

Comments

• dazza106
    dazza106 Posts: 22
    You can use the A6005 which you pickup in Spondon and takes you through Borrowash, Draycott, Breaston, Long Eaton and Beeston all the way into Nottingham
  • missgroover
    missgroover Posts: 263
    Thanks Dazza I'll look into that.
    How do they compare distance-wise, the way I drive currently it's about 17.5 miles which would take me abt 50 mins I guess...?
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I go two ways from Beeston to Derby. Either Long Eaton-Breaston-Draycott-Borrowash-Spondon.....OR.....Stapleford-Sandiacre-Borrowash-Spondon.

You can also ride along the Trent, do a mile or two on the road from Sawley to Shardlow then take canal paths along and come in the south of Derby.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You could try plotting the route on somewhere like bikehike.co.uk (go to Course Creater) where you can work out different permutations of miles & elevations of your route(s).
  • jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    Thanks Dazza I'll look into that.
    How do they compare distance-wise, the way I drive currently it's about 17.5 miles which would take me abt 50 mins I guess...?

You cycle a lot? That distance would take me well over an hour, maybe as much as one and a half. I need more practice I think!
  • Have you checked out national cycle route 6 (map on sustains website)? It goes from the middle of Nottingham to Derby , mainly avoiding busy roads (lots of it is on cycle paths or bridle ways etc). Also, the A6005 through Long Eaton etc is a bit quicker.
  • Thanks Dazza I'll look into that.

according to google maps, the A6005 is about 1.5 miles further than the A52.

Really depends on where in Derby/Notts you coming from/going to.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    YIMan wrote:
    I go two ways from Beeston to Derby. Either Long Eaton-Breaston-Draycott-Borrowash-Spondon.....OR.....Stapleford-Sandiacre-Borrowash-Spondon.

You can also ride along the Trent, do a mile or two on the road from Sawley to Shardlow then take canal paths along and come in the south of Derby.

That would be this http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE?hd=1 route then :)

You can also use the cycle path under the Raynesway and go through to behind Elvaston Castle and either cut through to Shardlow along Ambaston Lane or go onto the A6005 as said above (or go right down the Alvaston bypass and along the old A6 to Shardlow that way)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter