Sky TDF team

bobhitch
bobhitch Posts: 87
edited June 2012 in Pro race
All set for the big one ! -looks like the focus will be on Brad going for the GC , Maybe can can tag on other lead out trains :D

TOUR DE FRANCE SQUAD REVEALED
Strong team set to line up in Liege
Last updated: 21st June 2012
RSS
Twitter
Facebook

Team Sky's 2012 Tour de France squad
Team Sky have confirmed their squad for the 99th edition of the Tour de France, which commences in Liège on Saturday 30 June.

Also see
Team Sky Facebook page
Team Sky on Twitter
Team Sky iPhone app
British Cycling website
Bradley Wiggins will lead the team after his consecutive victories at Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie and Critérium du Dauphiné, and will be joined by Edvald Boasson Hagen, Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Chris Froome, Christian Knees, Richie Porte, Michael Rogers and Kanstantsin Siutsou.

The 2012 edition will be Bradley Wiggins’ sixth Tour appearance and he goes into the event in the form of his life having clinched podium places in every single stage race he has completed over the last 12 months.

World Road Race Champion Mark Cavendish rides his first Tour de France for Team Sky and has the honour of being the first Briton in 46 years to wear the fabled rainbow road jersey in cycling’s biggest bike race. The Manxman is also looking to defend the points classification title he secured in last year’s event and is aiming to add to his remarkable tally of 20 Tour stage victories which have put him joint-sixth on the list of all-time stage winners.

Edvald Boasson Hagen will be Cavendish’s key lead out man and also offer support to Wiggins when the race hits the mountains. If the opportunity arises, Boasson Hagen is highly capable of going for stage victories himself, as demonstrated in 2011 when he sprinted to victory in Lisieux and then produced a triumphant solo attack as the race dropped into Pinerolo.

2011 Vuelta a España runner up Chris Froome, Volta ao Algarve winner Richie Porte, and three-time World Time Trial champion Michael Rogers will be Wiggins’ biggest allies on the most testing stages while Christian Knees and Kanstantsin Siutsou will be his wingmen during the flatter sections of the race. Bernhard Eisel brings his invaluable experience to the squad and his all-round capabilities will prove a huge asset to the team.

Biggest prize in cycling

Team Principal Dave Brailsford said: “Deciding our final nine was a very tough challenge because we are blessed with a great depth of talent in our squad. We believe we have picked a strong and balanced team though, and one which can cater for any eventuality.

“Our priority this year is the General Classification with Bradley but that doesn’t mean we’ll neglect the sprint stages, or Mark’s bid for green jersey.

“Chris, Mick, and Richie are among our strongest climbers and will all be there to support Bradley in the mountains, but then we’ve got riders like Christian and Kosta who have strong engines on the flats, and versatile riders like Edvald and Bernhard who can support Mark in the sprints.

“This squad is truly world class with a proven pedigree of success. They have trained, raced and lived together since the start of the season and that has moulded them into a well-oiled, focused and close-knit team.

“They are all full of confidence after their recent run of results and it’s going to be exciting to see how the race transpires.”

Ready to go

Bradley Wiggins said: “I’m really proud to be part of such a strong unit going into the Tour de France. The team’s preparation has been perfectly managed and our form this season gives us a great chance of being successful.

“I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time and I’ll do everything I can to win the Tour de France. Hopefully we can do the business for ourselves and our fans, and become the most successful British-based cycling team ever.”

Mark Cavendish said: "It's a dream to ride for a team that holds so much British interest and has a chance to win the yellow jersey.

“I know the push for the GC podium will make it more difficult for me to repeat the success I've enjoyed the last few years. But I'll compete and - as always - I'll dedicate myself to making it a successful Tour for Team Sky and, let's hope, for Britain.”

Edvald Boasson Hagen said: “I’m really looking forward to riding the Tour. It’s the biggest race of the year and we have entered a very strong team, so it’s going to be great to be part of.

“Bradley is a fantastic leader and we all have faith in him to produce a really strong ride. It’s the same for Cav, he’s the best sprinter in the world and my role will be helping them both out as much as I can.

“If I get the opportunity to go for stage victories myself, I’ll definitely try to take them, but I have a role in the team to fulfil and anything other than that will be a bonus.”