Five Ten Freerider 2012 vs Five Ten Impact 2

mayonaise
mayonaise Posts: 159
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting a pair of shoes for flat pedals and have narrowed it down to either the Freerider 2012 or the Impact 2's by Five Ten.

I mainly ride red/black XC but prefer the security of being able to quickly dab a foot that flats give me.

What are people's opinions of each of these pairs of shoes? Positives and negatives?

Cheers.

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I looked at both but went for the freerider as I found the impact was to bulky for my liking. The freerider is better suited to trail use and the impact more DH.
  • mayonaise
    mayonaise Posts: 159
    That was my view aswell, didn't fancy the bulkiness of the impacts. The freerider's look like normal skate shoes with a stiffer sole and more suited to mtb, think I will go with them :)

Thanks mate
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I had the impacts then got rid for freeriders.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I've got freeriders and they are superb
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I got the Line King Freeride for downhill riding. A very good shoe...

79583.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    I have the Five Ten Baron, which I believe are an in-between of the 2 you have mention.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I've got a pair of 2012 freeriders, they're nice and comfy, fit well, but I do feel a bit disconnected from the pedals.

I previously used some Five Ten Marvels, which are freerunning shoes. I found them to be just as grippy (they still have that stealth sole on them) but had a little more feel to them. Of course, that did mean they were not as stiff, but I didn't really mind too much.

Not saying I don't like my Freeriders, just that I think they'll take some getting used to.