optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
... the flags on the cars coming towards you... are blowing towards you! :eek:
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    ... the rain is hitting your face so hard you couldn't dream of looking up to see the flags on cars going the other way!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    A pedestrian looks at you funny and you just know your mascara's working its way towards your ears.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    The rain cover on your rucksack acts as a very effective parachute/airbrake.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994

I assume we head roughly the same way, it was tough today. Glad its Friday as I don't think I could have taken much more.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Fought the bee-atch up hill for three and a half miles. Now on pint three (this one is Boris Brainbender from the Raglan Cider Mill if you are.interested) at the beer festival.

The way home is downhill and with a humungous tailwind. And I ain't leavin' yet. :-D

See you in the funny papers!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • optimisticbiker
    rubertoe wrote:

I assume we head roughly the same way, it was tough today. Glad its Friday as I don't think I could have taken much more.
    yes, I reckon it was gusting over 40 and swinging wildly from west to north and back; there was one point coming north on the A5 at the lights just before Staples Corner flyover where I was standing on the pedals and making little progress....
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Leave the bike at home and take the bus?
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    navt wrote:

Blasphemy!!!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Lived! Canal path BTW so only myself and moorhens were in danger. :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    navt wrote:

And there weren't many buses around today - lots of hopeful people standing at bus stops... So brave the wind it was.
    It's the moments where you feel yourself moving sideways rather than forwards that I start to worry... but I guess they are crosswinds rather than headwinds! :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

I wanted to cycle in to Whitby this weekend and took the bike camping with me. When I got to Filey and unloaded I was wondering whether it was a good idea or not; and the occasional rain shower (which was basically going sideways) really wasn't helping.

I'd arranged to meet friends in Whitby and in the end decided that it was getting on in the day and I should really drive up.

I'm glad I did.

I was driving behind a car over the moors section between Scarborough and Whitby and it had those England flags sticking out the windows

We were doing 50mph and the flags were blowing DIAGONALLY across the car. :shock: I'm absolutely serious here, I was looking at the flag a little dumbly and then the meaning behind it hit me.

I do want to go back and cycle that route - it looks stunning.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You know it's a headwind when you have to change down to 53 x 12. ;-)
  • optimisticbiker

I wanted to cycle in to Whitby this weekend and took the bike camping with me. When I got to Filey and unloaded I was wondering whether it was a good idea or not; and the occasional rain shower (which was basically going sideways) really wasn't helping.

I'd arranged to meet friends in Whitby and in the end decided that it was getting on in the day and I should really drive up.

I'm glad I did.

I was driving behind a car over the moors section between Scarborough and Whitby and it had those England flags sticking out the windows

We were doing 50mph and the flags were blowing DIAGONALLY across the car. :shock: I'm absolutely serious here, I was looking at the flag a little dumbly and then the meaning behind it hit me.

I do want to go back and cycle that route - it looks stunning.
    Yes I've driven a similar route, Kirkbymoorside to Whitby last year and thought it would be lovely to cycle it... although that particular day it was very foggy. Tho Blue Bank at Sleights is a 25% section and not for the faint hearted :lol:.
  • daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    When you are pedaling forwards but appear to be going in reverse.
  • KB / OB - The North York Moors are on my doorstep and I have to say it is mighty fine riding country if the weather is fair and you don't mind a bit of climbing. Very wet and windy yesterday though. If you fancy an enjoyable jaunt through the coutryside you might do worse than Velo29 Endeavour Sportive which takes place in a couple of weeks. I did this last year, but family commitments will prevent a repeat. Failing that, if you are in the neighbourhood and fancy some company, let me know.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    ... you're cycling along the Old Kent Road. Doesn't matter which direction.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    .. having to pedal on descents.

.. looking down at your speedo and realising that at this speed your still 2 hours+ before getting home (normally it would be approx 20-30 minutes away)

.. having to use a gel! to do the last few miles home (see next point), and finally

.. you really do know it's a headwind when your on the point of crying becuase your legs hurt so much.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile