fed up with my build!!

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
i can't be cut out for this type of thing! i started a build to make a winter/commute bike.as you may have just read i was struggling with my chain.thats just the start i seem to be struggling with quite a few things i am just starting to think i am not cut out to do a lot of the maintenance myself, i was hoping i would find it easy so i could build an ace bike too.

so not sure now wether to cut my losses(i have bought everything to complete it) or try get a lbs to finish it for me, so far my experience has been that if they can't sell me any parts they rant to eager to do the labour! so bit apprehensive about that but too!
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Step by step and no hurrying! This could be a good thread if you stick with it!

Are you building it on a stand? That makes life much easier and more enjoyable.

So, starting at the beginning - are the frame and forks together yet? What is already done on the bike?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ianbar
    ok from the beginning....got a dolan frame on ebay £50, wanted to keep cost down so bought a very very cheap steel forks fitted by lbs(didn't like going to them). so i have also fitted stem, handlebars, seat post. i bought a sora group set off parker international the bb was fitted bt same lbs.

i have done the breaks i figured that out,i have attached derailieurs but wiring them up is driving me mental, think the chainring ones seem fine but for the cassette i thought i finally had sorted it today then for some reason i just can't get the gears to switch correctly.then there was the chain thing i thought i had that worked out too then my chain tool broke lol and i threw a strop lol

then i seem to be struggling even to fit the mud guards which seems to be ruddy stupid!
    enigma esprit
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Ah! Your bike build. Thought this was a body image thread. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Assuming the Sora groupset you bought is all the same version of Sora its not going to be your dérailleurs/shifters. Stupid question, but did the group-set include chain and cassette? If not have you got the right size, i.e. everything's the same "speed", whether that's 8, 9 or 10? If not you need to sort that first.

Next, got some pics of your cable runs? If its driving you mad then this is the next likely problem area. There's plenty of stuff on the web about running cables correctly, try Youtube for some vids and I'm sure the good folk on will point out what's wrong.

Once your cables are properly run then indexing your gears should be pretty easy. The ParkTools website has some great tutorials.

Stick with it, it sounds like you're almost there!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    Peddle Up! wrote:

I had the same thought!
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Have you thought about using a local mobile bike mechanic? They're not normally fussy about who supplied the parts and there seems to be a lot more of them about nowadays. Ive always had good service from the ones I've used as they tend to be keen cyclists themselves
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    nickbuchan wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

I had the same thought!

Well I'm sure if that's what you want and you ask nicely, Ianbar will make it that as well :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Ian

You haven't entered your location so I don't know where you are, but I am sure that there would be somebody on here close enough to you to pop round and try to help a bit. Maybe you are doing something daft, maybe you have got the wrong components. I don't know.

Just a thought.
  • ianbar
    well it is all a sora 9spd group set, happy enough with it generally apart from not getting it to work lol i may have to get some fresh cables and try re threading it as its looking tired now from my constant messing. my mood with it today isn't helped by the fact i had been up 24 hours and very tired so fresh eyes and mind might help, its just very frustrating as i wanted to be commuting on it as of nearly 2 weeks ago!
    enigma esprit
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    Rolf F wrote:
    nickbuchan wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

I had the same thought!

Well I'm sure if that's what you want and you ask nicely, Ianbar will make it that as well :wink:

Blimey, thanks but no thanks! :shock:
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    Don't attempt anything whilst tired, you will most likely just get very frustrated, and make mistakes.

Maybe consider buying a book, the Zinn books are pretty helpful, i have both the mountain bike and road bike books, mainly just for reference, but they have both come in very handy especially for setting up my gears.

As others have asked whereabouts are you? someone will likely be able to come and have a look at it for you if your getting really stuck.

But the main thing is don't give up, as well as the rewarding feeling of knowing you've built you're own bike. You will have the confidence to maintain and repair it yourself. Which will save you a small fortune in LBS labour charges.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • ianbar
    i am a little more motivated today an back on the build frame of mind! i don't really have much to do on it so i have to get it done! especially with the rain i need my winter bike lol probably won't do any more till late in the week though.
    enigma esprit
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Not sure why you're getting frustrated tbh. A budget bike build sounds fun to me. If it were me, I'd change the cables as a matter of course upon a new build. You've bought the groupset second hand so that's what i would do. Have fun with it! Oh, and get some sleep!
  • ianbar
    the group set was not used, in fact not really sure anything is used on it. have ordered a new chain tool since i broke my other one, so if home d.i.y does not get in the way this week i shall have another stab at it!
    enigma esprit
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Dont do the house diy, i need to know how its going.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    One common mistake is to route the rear gear cable the wrong side of the clamp bolt. Instructions here:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 614952.pdf
  • ianbar
    think the cabel is routed correctly but will check that.the 2 pulleys(think there called) on the rear deraillieur seem really still and more horizontally next too each other rather than vertically? not sure if thats at all an issue. will get the bike out again tomorrow and let you know how its going!

i need the bike doing so i can ride to work(only 6-7 mile round trip) but 4-5 times a week and thats a nice 30 miles a week of gentile riding and can focus on some hill rides during the week!
    enigma esprit