Ronde Van Vlaanderen Sportive 2013

2»

Comments

• I signed up too, despite many warnings about overcrowding. I just wanted to ask those who have ridden it before whether you saw any helmetless participants.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    I just wanted to ask those who have ridden it before whether you saw any helmetless participants.

If there were, there weren't many. In previous years, insurance for the event was rendered null & void without a helmet, but I can't see anything to that effect on this year's site.

As for cutoff times, see http://sport.be.msn.com/rondevanvlaanderen/2013/eng//praktischeinfo/algemeen/start/
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • The Dutch- and French-language instructions say "no helmet, no insurance" but the English ones don't. This is very common, but when you ask to see the terms of the insurance policy they refuse to show them to you because there is no such clause. I just wanted to know if I would be harrassed by the organisers over choice of headgear.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Is there a GPX file I can download for the 133km route anywhere?

Likewise the long route! Anyone seen it released?

Also, can I just download Belgium OSM onto my Garmin, and have it there alongside my UK maps?
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    For the 80km:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10485936/Docs%20linked%20from%20websites/RONDE.gpx

I did it myself and there might be some errors in there, as the instructions weren't always clear. If we find ourselves both stuck in a farmers field somewhere please be kind 8)
  • I received the participant's pack in the post yesterday. Rule 7 stipulates that every participant must take out third-party and personal injury insurance. I'm a member of Vlaamse Wielrijdersbond but still haven't received my membership card, which I believe is proof of insurance cover as well. How have you sorted out your insurance?
  • I received the participant's pack in the post yesterday. Rule 7 stipulates that every participant must take out third-party and personal injury insurance. I'm a member of Vlaamse Wielrijdersbond but still haven't received my membership card, which I believe is proof of insurance cover as well. How have you sorted out your insurance?
    I got my info by email and it doesn't mention insurance. I'm hoping that my BC memebrship will cover me. If not perhaps it can be purchased at registration? Will you be prevented from riding without evidence of cover?

Edit: Just seen this on their website - it mentions free insurance in the participation package (which I presume we get at registration) http://sport.be.msn.com/rondevanvlaande ... amepakket/
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Just seen this on their website - it mentions free insurance in the participation package (which I presume we get at registration) http://sport.be.msn.com/rondevanvlaande ... amepakket/

Free insurance for forrins like me.

Probably need to take out insurance if you're Belgian.
  • I'm forrin too, just happen to live in Belgium. Where does it say that the admission fee includes insurance?
  • Oh sorry, didn't read the previous post. However, the documents I received in the post don't mention free insurance.
  • blim
    :x Channel Ferry strike! Last time I did Flanders (2010) there was a strike, and the coach was lucky to get a crossing. I am evidently a jinx.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • blim wrote:
    :x Channel Ferry strike! Last time I did Flanders (2010) there was a strike, and the coach was lucky to get a crossing. I am evidently a jinx.
    Hopefully it won't happen but if it does and Eurotunnel is left unaffected we have a spare seat and roof rack space for your bike. We have a Friday mid day booking on Eurotunnel (although hoping to travel much earlier - aiming for 6am) and travelling from Devon leaving in the very early hours of Friday morning. Just looking for a contribution to fuel / tunnel ticket costs.

We're planning to hang around to watch the pro race and return home on sunday evening.

PM me if your interested.
  • blim
    Well, despite the cold that was a superb day on the bike: the best ever for me. Ran my tyres softer than when i did it in 2010 and what a difference it made on the cobbles. Only had to walk up the Koppenberg (as did everyone else when I was there). Queues for the feed stations were a nuisance but with 16000 riders I'm not sure what else to expect.

Then I popped into the Centruum Ronde van Vlaanderen shop for a quick peek (didn't have time to do the whole museum) and met Freddy Maertens! :D

How did everyone else do?
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • neil²
    We had a great day. My boys (11 and 13) did really well. The younger one flew up the climbs, the older one flew down the descents! It was most amusing seeing tired adults trying to get on his wheel down into Berchem, but he is just too compact for drafting.

I broke a spoke when someone hit me from behind. The wheel went way out of true, but fortunately I was running a cross bike with discs and so the brakes still worked, and it got me home.

Short video here:
    http://youtu.be/Sbmz3miIHZI

:D
  • Great day!

We camped by a frozen lake about 15km south of Oudenaarde in Ronse - won't be doing that again!

I had to walk Koppenberg it was carnage up ahead and there was no option. Rode all the other climbs. Cobbles were tougher than I expected but the bike and wheels held up.
  • neil² wrote:
    We had a great day. My boys (11 and 13) did really well. The younger one flew up the climbs, the older one flew down the descents! It was most amusing seeing tired adults trying to get on his wheel down into Berchem, but he is just too compact for drafting.

I broke a spoke when someone hit me from behind. The wheel went way out of true, but fortunately I was running a cross bike with discs and so the brakes still worked, and it got me home.

Short video here:
    http://youtu.be/Sbmz3miIHZI

:D
    Think I spotted you at the finish. Two lads on red Islabikes? Perfect bikes for the cobbles I thought. Superb achievement for two youngsters!

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many kids out.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I completed the mid-distance route and loved it. Started early (just after 7am) and was still stuck in a big crowd and had to walk up the Koppenberg with everyone at the start. Hit the same at the top of Paterberg but after already having made it up 80% of the climb I wasn't in the mood to stop so I resorted to the continental tactic of shouting lots and thankfully (and kindly) all of the walkers got out of my way. Wish I'd done that at the Koppenberg as well now!

Great day though, if only it was a bit warmer...
  • neil²
    Think I spotted you at the finish. Two lads on red Islabikes? Perfect bikes for the cobbles I thought. Superb achievement for two youngsters!

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many kids out.

That was us :-)