Look what i just found....

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
there i was driving along minding my own business when boom - look what i found

IMG00079-20120622-1305.jpg

IMG00080-20120622-1305.jpg

apologise for the shocking quality blame blackberry

I can only guess the occupance were going to the neuro centre in Walton Hospital if so good luck
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Two of those were flying around the office this morning.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Two of those were flying around the office this morning.

Oooooh look out. Those Cakestoppers are more resourceful than you thought....
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, heard them from my office. Didn't need to look to know they were chinooks
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    See them sometimes from my office window which looks across to Leeds infirmary. The army are always breaking people and helicoptering them to the hospital. Usually smaller helicopters that can land on the roof but occasionally Chinooks - you don't tend to miss them because of the noise.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    this thing was loud like a "wokka wokka wokka" noise

the rear door was open too as it flew in.

now thats uber cool
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    From what I have heard from ex-army colleagues; you would rather walk than get in a Chinook.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gtvlusso wrote:
    From what I have heard from ex-army colleagues; you would rather walk than get in a Chinook.......
    Yeah I'd heard that. S'why I was surprised there have been two chinooks flying over the city the last couple days.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Yeah I'd heard that. S'why I was surprised there have been two chinooks flying over the city the last couple days.

the flashbacks kicked in hard when those bad boys went over
    <a>road</a>
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Mmmm, ask anyone who yomped / tabbed across the Falklands when the Chinooks got sunk...
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    edited June 2012
    Just saw one not 30min ago over Tower Bridge, guess they're practicing for the Olympics
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I was at a friend's near Blackwall/East India on Saturday and I'm certain I saw an Apache flying pretty low on the other side of the River.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcow007 wrote:
    this thing was loud like a "wokka wokka wokka" noise

the rear door was open too as it flew in.

now thats uber cool
    A few years ago I saw a Chinook flying back an forth along the Thames near Woolwich with the rear door open. A rigid raider was speeding back and forth at the same time. Eventually the Chinook lined up above the boat and a bloke abseilled down from the helicopter onto the boat.

That was even über cooler!

Edit: auto Umlaut. Go there iPad!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gtvlusso wrote:

the flashbacks kicked in hard when those bad boys went over

You+weren+t+there+man_5a11b4_3693865.jpg
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hate those bl**dy things - had a bad experience with one in NI in the 70s
  • EKE_38BPM
    Hate those bl**dy things - had a bad experience with one in NI in the 70s
    Is there such a thing as a good experience in NI in the 70s?

• Where I am we see alot of Army Air traffic passing directly overhead, usually Merlins, Chinooks, the odd Puma and the odd Apache. Also a lot of corporate helicopters and jets. You can tell the military stuff straight away - just a much deeper "whup whup" sound.

Just watching an Apache cruise by overhead - they are seriosuly imposing.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Where I am we see alot of Army Air traffic passing directly overhead, usually Merlins, Chinooks, the odd Puma and the odd Apache. Also a lot of corporate helicopters and jets. You can tell the military stuff straight away - just a much deeper "whup whup" sound.

Just watching an Apache cruise by overhead - they are seriosuly imposing.
    I know what you mean. The American Apaches are loud, but the UK Apaches take things to a different level.

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    A lot of them fly over our house - their sound is unmistakeable. I suspect it has be so loud so the death screams of innocent iraqis being beaten to death by our brave boys can't be heard.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    A lot of them fly over our house - their sound is unmistakeable. I suspect it has be so loud so the death screams of innocent iraqis being beaten to death by our brave boys can't be heard.

Don't be stupid - you don't beat people to death. You chuck one of them out of a helicopter 'pour encourager les autres'
  • hashtag
    hashtag Posts: 6
    Ive witnessed one doing a 'steep takeoff'

it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen

takeoff.jpg
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I work where the Apaches are built so see a lot flying about. They are awesome pieces of machinery. Sometimes it is like an Air Display here where they are testing various aspects of them.

Also below where I sit, they do some maintenance on them. On occasion the whole building rattles where they are testing the 30mm cannon (Not firing) where it swings side to side it makes a massive clang which can be felt.

I am responsible for bringing in new and repaired parts from Lockheed for the Apaches. The price of some parts are simply staggering..
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The Chinook aka Flying Death Banana.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • twist83 wrote:
    I am responsible for bringing in new and repaired parts from Lockheed for the Apaches.
    Glad to hear you are on the case - this doesn't sound like a job for cowboys :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    twist83 wrote:
    I am responsible for bringing in new and repaired parts from Lockheed for the Apaches.
    Glad to hear you are on the case - this doesn't sound like a job for cowboys :wink:

Yeah, wouldn't want them getting scalped.

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    ones just flown over now - are we going to war with skem. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.