Alps Question

Majski
Majski Posts: 443
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I've been out to PDS for the last 4 years but have always stayed in Les Gets. This year we're staying in Morzine so that we can do a bit more riding on the Swiss side. Couple of things I could do with clearing up.

Firstly, whenever we've been to Morgins its always been via the bus from Pre La Joux. Am I right in thinking that if I follow the fire road from the top of Mosette towards the start of the Swiss Cup course, but then head left i'll be able to follow a trail / road down to Morgins? Also when coming back is it easy to spot the trail from the top of Morgins to Champoussin, and from Champoussin to Les Crosets? Also are the trails from Morgins > Champoussin > Crosets all pointing downwards?

Lastly, when returning to Morzine we've always come down the road from Avoriaz (top of Lindarets express), because we're normally in a rush to get the Pleney lift to return to Les Gets. This year as we only have to get back to Morzine it'd be nice to be able to stop and chill at Lac Montriond for a bit at the end of the day. I know (remember from driving) that it's all downhill from Lindarettes to Montriond, but then does it take long to push up to Morzine? Is it feasable with DH bikes or will it take aaaaages?

Cheers

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You know i should know the answers to these since i've been there 8 times over the last few years but i've never made a concious effort to learn the names of anything :P
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Ha, cheers for the help! lol
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    From Morzine, jump on the Super Morzine Gondola and the Chair at the top of that to get to the ridge line overlooking the lindaret valley.

Ride to the Col de la joux verte and down the track to the end of the Lindaret valley.

At that point you are by the Mossettes lift - slow ish 3 man I think which takes you to the top of mosettes which is the french swiss border.

From there there is a gravel track that leads toward Morgins or you can head to the Swiss DH track into Les Crosets (which has a return lift to the summit.

Your other option is to drop from the Joux Verte into the Linderet bowl itself (couple of routes - my favourite is to head from top of Zore lift toward Joux Verte, turn left at the little compression before the gentle climb to the joux verte and then right onto a nice little rocky singletrack that leads you to a junction with the French DH cup course) and head up the Choux Fleurie onto the Bassacheux ridge, drop down to Plan Dranse, take the track that leads on the right hand valley side (which again is a great track) to Chatel, jumpt the Super Chatel and ride up and over the top which leads to Morgins (or take the road which isnt too bad).

The second option is a great route if you are more all mountain oriented (i.e you have a bike you can pedal). The first option is better on a bigger bike.

Please excuse any spelling errors in the french names I am doing this from memory!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.