j0sh123
j0sh123 Posts: 21
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Shimano M077 MTB SPD Shoes
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55373

or
Bontrager RL ATB 10
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... gn=froogle

Im getting into xc racing so need something a bit more 'speedy' than my 5:10's but not too expensive
cheers

Comments

• Dubdemand
    Dubdemand Posts: 37
    No experience of either but currently looking for shoes myself as my old Nike SPDs are killing my feet having not used them for a few years. I had been looking at Sidi but those Bontragers in silver float my boat too! Would be great to hear if anyones had any experience of them...
  • j0sh123
    j0sh123 Posts: 21
    Dubdemand yeah I was leaning more towards the bontragers, they seem pretty decent and good value price wise..
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I have shimano shoes similar to that model and they work very well and have lasted ages. However, those Bontrager shoes looks nice and very tempting at half price.
    Many happy trails!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    At the risk of sounding like a pr*ck - I'd buy the ones that fit me.

Shoes are one thing I wouldn't buy on line without having first done a very cheeky try on at my LBS (and then I'd probably buy from them if they were right and not too much more expensive).

You can pick up a medium t shirt and be fairly sure it will fit if all your other t shirts are mediums but shoes swing wildly for the same size across manufacturers, models and so on. Try before you buy or be prepared to return.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    +1 for above, buy ones that fit.

I have the MO77's (so get them!). Ordered from wiggle and I got the right size first time. Its free to return most things to them too :D via collect+
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I recently bought Shimano M087 MTB Shoes for commuting in all weathers. I am very happy with them but did not try many others on. I would recommend shoes with a buckle fastening as they keep the foot more bound in place. Velcro just loses grip and snaps (did on my old Specialized shoes).
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    ToeKnee wrote:
    I recently bought Shimano M087 MTB Shoes for commuting in all weathers. I am very happy with them but did not try many others on. I would recommend shoes with a buckle fastening as they keep the foot more bound in place. Velcro just loses grip and snaps (did on my old Specialized shoes).

I've had mine for over a year, with no noticeable wear to any stitching .... the velco straps seem very well attached IMO.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I have always purchased Shimano shoes but them Bontranger shoes look such a good buy at less than 1/2 price
  • of the two choices id go for the bonty's, only on the basis they are the more expensive shoes reduced to the normal price of the shimao's, the bonty's will be stiffer soled in comparison which should allow more grunt through the pedals, and with having a ratchet strap you'll have a slightly more secure foot fitting,
    the shimano shoe's will be fine, and a great middle of the line shoe, not too difficult to walk in, good on the bike comfort etc. but for the choice i'd go for the bonty's,
    shimano's are generally a size up from your normal foot size as they are a narrow fitting, dont know on the bontys, but a quick google should help you out!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Of the two I'd go for the Bonty's, I've got the older version of those shimano shoes and they're fine, lasted well for a fair few years now but when it gets to winter and the trails start to get icey and slippy it'd be nice to have some studs up front.
  • Dubdemand
    Dubdemand Posts: 37
    Well I ordered the Bonty's on Monday and they arrived yesterday! Really pleased with them, very comfy, light, well made and stiff enough for getting the power down without making walking impossible.

Please note that these are the more expensive of the 2 Bonty shoes on the Evans website priced at £59.99 (still 45% off) and this is where is gets a bit confusing. The pictures for the £49 and the £59 ones look identical however the middle thumb nail of the £59 ones shows a shoe with a different buckle design - black plastic surround with an orange button in the center - these are the £49 ones and the plastic buckle doesn't offer the same fine adjustment of the metal buckled£59 ones. I know this as I wasn't sure what size I needed so ordered a 43.5 in the £49 ones and a 44 in the £59 ones.

This link shows the ones I have decided to keep and you can see the cheaper ones in the middle thumbnail under the main picture. The cheaper ones also show the same main picture so this is an error on the Evans website.

Lots of size charts suggest that a euro 44 Is a uk 9.5. This is not the Case with the Bonty's which clearly state on the box euro 44/uk 9. Making the euro 43.5 a uk 8.5.

I'm normally a size 9 and these are spot on. My toe just touches the end of the shoe if I push forward but when standing, walking and peddling they are just fine and I do not notice any discomfort. I love the dark silver/titanium colour and the orange 'Burberry' style lining is quite cool although it may not be to everyone's taste!

Lastly, a lot of the various sizes seem to have sold out since last weekend so if you're considering some then I jump on them now.

Hope all that helps someone!?!

Here's a pic for you all
    b63410f5.jpg
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    After reading this thread and seeing how much they had been reduced I purchased the Bontrager shoes . Look good quality and for a carbon sole shoe they are value for money. Seeing how the stock in most sizes has gone over the last few days I think lots of other people took up the offer.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I know women who take less time to pick a shoe out than this.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    All racer styles are the same in looks, buy on features. They are also useless for anything other than cycling, so cares what they look like.