Sore hamstrings

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
About a month ago, I cramped up very badly on a ride (it was a hot day and I'd not drunk enough). Legs literally locked solid on a hill - I was able to get off the bike in time, thankfully. Legs were really sore after and had to finish the ride (c.8 miles).

Anyway, since then, hamstings have often felt 'tight' with twinges at the tops of the thighs, and when riding they do not loosen up and always feel on the verge of getting a pulled muscle. This is making rides unpleasant - eg have decided not to do the Ride to the Horns sportive because of it.

Does anyone have any sage advice for me on what to do? Really cheesed off, every time I ride it's uncomfortable and I simply want the ride to end :(

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    Ignoring the obvious (warming up, staying hydration) I would say that stretching on the bike during the ride could also help. Having the saddle slightly too high (so hammies are over-stretched) or slightly too low (cramped up and not fully stretched) can contribute. Hamstring pain often also stems from the back being in the wrong position, so again related to running style or in this case again saddle position.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    I would get a sports masseuse to give the hammies some treatment. Also, hot baths followed by stretching may help.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you are getting pain / aches at the top of you hamstrings, then it could be an indication of hyper-extension i.e. saddle too high. A sure sign is that when riding your pelvis should stay level there should be no rocking and rolling of your hips. Dropping your saddle a touch may help alleviate the symptoms - google 'bike saddle height' for tips
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    Or alternatively spend £200 on a bike fit.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You should have spent plenty of time stretching after the ride. IME it would have substantially alleviated the after-effects. However, you can still help it by doing plenty of daily stretches.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I've had the same problem, but more in my gracilis muscle which is the long thin one on the inside of the thigh. Saw my physio today who, after putting me thro all kinds of balancing tests diagnosed a lack of stability/strength around my left knee. His tests proved this very clearly, an the lack of strength around the knee.

Been given some exercises and seeking physio again 2 weeks time.