Difference between 2011 & 2012 Tiagra

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I have a choice of getting the 2011 eddie merckx AMX-1 or the 2012 and other than a colour change from white to black the main difference is the Tiagra being 10 speed on the 2012.

However, the 2012 bike at the moment costs £120 more. Is it worth paying the extra £120 to get the newer 10 speed Tiagra or not?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/39086/Eddy_Merckx_AMX1_Tiagra_Bike_2011- 2011

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46022/Eddy_Merckx_AMX1_Tiagra_2012_Bike - 2012

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    I'm no expert but i would pay the extra simply because it looks nicer!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • NITR8s
    You prefer the black to the white then? Although the handlebars are different, you can actually choose which one you want on either year anyway.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    It depends on bike quiver. Is this your first bike? If so then going 10 speed rather than 9 might make a lot of sense - so that when you buy bike no2 you will prob want a better model - that is likely to be a 10 speed (tho shimano are now introducing 11). 10 speed wheel sets are the interchangeable between bikes summer and winter if needed and if using an indoor trainer.

Finally, IIRC the 10 speed tiagra (depending on cage choice) offers a wider choice of rear cassette than 9 speed including I think at least 29 tooth (or even 30+) which would be really useful for the tougher sportives (Fred Witton anyone?)
  • NITR8s
    This will be my second bike and even the 2011 tiagra is an upgrade from my current gearing of shimano 2200 8 speed. I currently ride a standard chainset 53/39 with a 11-25 cassestte and have managed to do exmoor beauty on it. So would assume that even the compact 50/34 with 11-26 cassette 9 speed would be a big help anyway.

Also considering I would be going from a 11 possibly 12kg bike to a 9kg bike.

Looking at evans I can pick at a 9 speed Ultegra cassette 12-27 for £50, so looks like I would be able to upgrade the 9 speed quite well too.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    I guess if you are prepared to spend £50 on a cassette to upgrade a 9 speed then for just another £70 you get the 10 speed (and the levers are interchangeable with higher spec mechs in the future.

Also what do you plan to do with bike 1 in future - sell when you replace it with bike 2? If so make the investment now in 10 speed. I only suggest this because I get really frustrated swopping round wheels and tyres between my 9 speed winter and 10 speed summer bikes when a mechanical prob hits at short notice or when using the turbo.

By the way they both look really nice bikes.
  • NITR8s
    getprg wrote:
    I guess if you are prepared to spend £50 on a cassette to upgrade a 9 speed then for just another £70 you get the 10 speed (and the levers are interchangeable with higher spec mechs in the future.

Also what do you plan to do with bike 1 in future - sell when you replace it with bike 2? If so make the investment now in 10 speed. I only suggest this because I get really frustrated swopping round wheels and tyres between my 9 speed winter and 10 speed summer bikes when a mechanical prob hits at short notice or when using the turbo.

By the way they both look really nice bikes.

Ive not really thought that far in future, I would hope that this bike would last me a few years as has everything I need at the moment.

I think they look rather smart and like the fact that they arnt commen like the hundreds of Giants and Spez you see at every sportive. I also like that they come with a half decent wheelset Shimanos RS10s, as it saves me having to think about upgrading the wheelset.

Im going to my LBS at 12 today to have a closer look at one, to see how they look in real life. So I will report back after lunch.
  • NITR8s
    Just had a look at the 2012 amx-1 45cm and looked very nice and very light. The bloked weighed it in the workshop and it weighed 8.54kg without pedals (Wow, for an aluminium frame). Although a 45cm is for 5foot6 to 5,9(Im only 5foot4), stand over height was fine and actually better than my current bike. I was flatfooted and still comfortable in jeans.

I compared it to the Felt Z85 and spez allez elite while I was there and you can tell the quality difference, the full shimano groupset really makes it shine.

Spoke to Winstanley who advised they will only hold a bike for 4 weeks, with a £50 deposit and as cannot apply to cyclescheme voucher until end of next month are gonna have to wait and hope they dont sell out. Defo want it though, I was so tempted to just give the LBS my creditcard but resisted.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    I'd definitely go for the 10 speed - Which would you rather be compatible with for future upgrades/repairs; Sora or 105/Ultegra/Dura-ace
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra