New commute looming - Ewell to Fleet Street

bracketed
bracketed Posts: 55
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm in the process of moving house to Ewell, having lived in Kingston for several years and being a regular in the Embankment Peloton.

So I need to ask the Hive Mind... what's a good route from there to central London, Fleet Street-ish?

I guess something A24-based, but are there any particularly tricky bits I need to avoid? Sneaky diversions to avoid either very fast or very slow traffic? Any other general advice? Basically - what's it like out there?

I throw myself on your collective wisdom...
White Condor Italia 2011
FCN 3

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Am not a fan of the A24 route, so would probably head towards Wimbledon.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Flying bogey and mtb idle both come into town from weekly and I start in banstead.

Think you can cut through non such park for a bit to avoid a bit of the a24 but otherwise I think its your best bet

I have looked for various other routes but cs7 seems to be the quickest from there.
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I do Epsom to Vauxhall, through Ewell Village. I AM a fan of the A24; because its a main road, it does flow really well, is pretty well-specced for bike lanes, and joins CS7 at Colliers Wood. I find that all that back-road' commuting, with endless turns and T-Junctions, is actually more challenging. The A24 is straight, busy, but pretty fast flowing. Of course there are parts that are dodgy; going past the school in North Cheam at the wrong time can be a bit hairy, and the Morden One-way system too, but overall that route has been working for me for many years. Good luck.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    alansd1980 wrote:
    Flying bogey and mtb idle both come into town from weekly

Eh? I don't live anywhere near weekly.

But I do commute in from Ewell (East Ewell) and as Alan points out go through Nonsuch Park and then along A24 to CS7.

I would support everything Raymondo (great goal last night) says about it and CS7 too.

Points to watch out for are Tooting Bec to Tooting Broadway in the evening. Very dangerous but take care and approach every junction with caution and you'll be ok.

Communting video here

Another communting video

I work in Canary Wharf so cant' tell you what to look out for beyond London bridge

There's a good bunch of friendly riders on that route too :P
    FCN = 4
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I'm sure Ewell be fine
    <a>road</a>
  • bracketed
    bracketed Posts: 55
    Thanks for all your replies!

I generally prefer flowing traffic to back-road navigation, so from the sounds of it the A24 will be fine for me. No substitute for actually trying it, though.

If all goes well, I look forward to joining you all down there sometime in August/September!
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    will keep an eye out for you; shouldn't be too hard to spot the penny farthing :lol::wink:
    FCN = 4
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Welcome,
    I live in the village and the A24 is my preferred route. Draws a straight line on the GPS although I have recently taken to the Embankment turning off at Tooting Bec and crossing WWorth bridge. I agree 100% with MTBidle about Tooting. 2 offs both in that area. Hopefully see you on the road round here soon.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4