Elixir 3 w/ 165mm rotors

PuttyKnees
PuttyKnees Posts: 381
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having a little trouble with my front brake system. I'd like to replace the rotor and have just realised that they're running 165mm rotors at the moment - the brakes are Elixir 3s. 165mm don't seem to be available, so I'm guessing I need to adapt to 160mm rotors, perhaps by removing the washers between the mounts and the calipers. Is this the way to do it, or is there something I'm missing here?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You've currently got a 165mm ???
  • PuttyKnees
    You've currently got a 165mm ???

Yes. Visibly larger than my rear and also stamped on the rotor.
  • Chunkers1980
    Just get 180/5 and get the correct bracket.
  • PuttyKnees
    OK cheers, I'll take a look at that.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Removing washers from the conical stack is the way that I would do it.

Just eye it and make sure that the outer circumference of the rotor is atleast level with the top edge of the brake pads as in (A). If not, then the brakes will stop functioning correctly once there is a little wear as in (B).

brake_pads.jpg
  • PuttyKnees
    Thanks for the diagram. Having looked again, I don't think I can remove any washers as there only two making up the conical stack and I presume that removing those will mean I can't make any adjustment/alignment?
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes as that is the way that Avids work.

Upping the front is a good idea anyway - just buy the correct adaptor.
  • PuttyKnees
    Rightio that's settled then, thanks for your help :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I'm having a little trouble with my front brake system. I'd like to replace the rotor
    What are you expecting to gain by replacing the rotor?
    Clean it with isopropyl alchohol, remove the pads, givec the calliper a quick hose-down, and fit new pads.
    There's nothing to go wrong on a rotor, apart from bending it.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I'm having a little trouble with my front brake system. I'd like to replace the rotor
    What are you expecting to gain by replacing the rotor?
    Clean it with isopropyl alchohol, remove the pads, givec the calliper a quick hose-down, and fit new pads.
    There's nothing to go wrong on a rotor, apart from bending it.

Quite agree. The reason is that I run tubeless and bought a new wheel to have some choice of tires without the nightmare of changing tubeless tires. I had hoped to put the same type of rotor on the new wheel, but 165mm are not available so I have to change the rotor either to 160mm or 180mm.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ah, ok. When you said you had a little trouble, I thought you were trying to correct a fault.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    PuttyKnees wrote:

Quite agree. The reason is that I run tubeless and bought a new wheel to have some choice of tires without the nightmare of changing tubeless tires. I had hoped to put the same type of rotor on the new wheel, but 165mm are not available so I have to change the rotor either to 160mm or 180mm.
    how hard have you looked? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-MTB-Disc ... 4812wt_930 and theres more besides that
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011