Large volume 29" tyres ???

Mc Blip
Mc Blip Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
How can I identify from the manufacturers "blurb" whether a tyre (specifically 29er) is high volume? For instance I have bought both Maxxis Ignitor and Maxxis Crossmark 29" x 2.1" and they are hugely different, the Crossmark having the greater volume.
Obviously with a car tyre for example its the profile (aspect ratio).
Am I missing an obvious indicator or relevant text on the tyre sidewall?

TIA Andy ...

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What do you mean by high volume?

The wider the tyre generally the greater the volume and that's really the only place you'll see a written change in volume. a x2.1 will be smaller volume than a x2.35 of the same tyre.
  • Different tyre manufacturers and different models vary hugely.
    A Scwalbe 2.1 comes up differently to a Maxxis 2.1 and a Maxxis 2.1 Ignitor is different to a Maxxis 2.1 Ardent.
    Never figured out why the manufacturers cant make an industry standard and stick to it, i guess they measure there own brand of tyres differently. Its just plain annoying.

Anyway the largest volume 29er tyres i've seen are Maxxis Ardent 2.35's and Scwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35. Both come up larger than 2.35 suggests. The Ardents especially are near a close match to 2.5 Maxxis High Rollers.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Anyway the largest volume 29er tyres i've seen are Maxxis Ardent 2.35's and Scwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35. Both come up larger than 2.35 suggests. The Ardents especially are near a close match to 2.5 Maxxis High Rollers.
    +1

I have 2.35 Ardents in standard 26" and they have a big volume (or 'profile' if you prefer). Tyres like these have the effect of making your wheels into the next size up i.e. using the 26" Ardents is almost like riding a 650b wheel with normal volume tyres. The main advantage of large volume tyres is being able to run them at lower pressures with a lower risk of pinch flats, that's not to say they won't occur though.
  • Mc Blip
    Mc Blip Posts: 8
    Thanks guys - that's a great help. I've been out today on my 26" susser , got a 2.1 Maxxis Ignitor on the rear and a 2.4 Ardent on the front. That Ardent looks huge but I was riding with more confidence as that combo has "slackened" the bike slightly. Mind you, it makes me even slower :)))

ANDY ...