Trouble with Halfords...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited June 2012 in MTB general
So... My back wheel was slightly out of true... And the spokes were loose so I took it to Halfords lastnight to get sorted and they said was fine and is fixable for 10.99 which I thought was ok. The guys at my local Halfords seem good and my brother has bought a few bikes from there and never had problems.

Was told to pick it up this evening and when I got there it wasn't ready but they said if I wait 10/15 minutes it'll be ready so I said ok, Had a look round while they were sorting it but to me seemed like he was rushing. 10 minutes later after he said he can fix it etc he came over to me and said it was basically f*&ked... Was in a rush so left it at that until I got home.

So yeah, They said they could fix it (2 different occasions - Last night and today and 2 Different mechanics also) And the wheel is now considerably worse than before. I called them saying so and saying I want it sorted because they both said it was fixable and it's not a lot worse. Checked the spokes and to me seems like he's just gone round and tightend them all way too much. They said It might be better if they put new spokes in which I told them I'm not paying for but I can't see how that'll help? The spokes seem fine, It's a fairly new wheel too. I reckon I need a new rim which when I said if I need a new rim would they pay for it they said they'd have to contact head office.

What should I do?

Comments

• DanDax1990
    P.S The wheels are from a Voodoo Bokor. All I know is the rims are Alex SX44 32 hole disc rims. Would I be better off buying a replacement rim that I can use the other bits with and take to a good cycle shop to get sorted or?...
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    dont take your bike to halfords!! ive never herd a good thing about them trying to fix bikes!
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    sigorman85 wrote:
    dont take your bike to halfords!! ive never herd a good thing about them trying to fix bikes!

Oh dear, there is also at least one who comes up with this classic line. Heard it all before. Search this thread for Halfords there was an interesting and intelligent discussion around Halfords a few weeks ago. You should read it!

Back to the OP, if the offered a new rim then take it!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • DanDax1990
    That's the thing, They didn't offer a new rim they said they'd have to contact head office about it if it came to that...

That's quite stupid tbh sigorman, Like I said, Brother has had multiple bikes from there which where all fine. Obviously some bike mechanics are more well trained than others but because Halfords is a big chain of stores you'll hear more about them than from small bike shops.
  • waby1234
    I'd be asking for a replacement to be honest, but only if they made it worse than it was.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • DanDax1990
    It's considerably worse...

And like I said, The 2 mechanics both said they'd be able to fix it and it ended up in a far worse state...
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Is the bike under warranty? I buckled a rear wheel on my GT when it was only a few months old and Halfords replaced it free. They weren't able to source a match so I paid a bit extra for a better one.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Halfords sell bikes and accessories but I wouldn't really call them a 'bike shop'. Yes they can index mechs, tighten bolts, fit different things etc but for things such as truing wheels, facing and fitting bottom brackets and headsets, I would honestly say a LBS is better. They don't have the expensive equipment such as headset presses, facing cutters, (probably) truing stands. I bought my bike from halfords, but I only used their bikehut while I was getting to grips with how everything worked. Most things I can now do myself but for anything I cant, which usually involves wheels or facing, I go to a LBS.

I haven't had bad experiences with halfords, i'd just like someone I trust a bit more to do the 'big' jobs.

In your case, ask to speak to the manager and they'll usually sort it, they're a big store and will have, or be able to get a lot of spares. That's if they can't fix it, or have made it worse.
  • sigorman85
    bet my last penny it wouldnt have happend at you lbs .....
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• I would purchase a compatible spoke key and learn to true wheels yourself. It's not hard really if you are careful just start at the valve and loosen the spokes up a bit (it's slightly harder with disks because you can't use the brake blocks as markers). But you could ziptie an allen key to the fork/stay. Plenty of guides online if you look.

Although i would be asking the Halfords mechanics to make good on this one for sure (or take it to a "real" LBS if it comes to it). Purchased a few bikes from Halfords no real dramas to be honest but they always needed a little "fettle" when they got home. However i would NEVER take a bike to them for repairs/service (however as you no doubt purchased the VooDoo there i get why you did :D).

Good luck.

Thanks.
  • waby1234
    sigorman85 wrote:
    bet my last penny it wouldnt have happend at you lbs .....

Again that's just an ignorant comment. I'm aware of several local bike shops I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, doesn't make them all bad does it? It's the same with Halfords.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• sigorman85
    handful wrote:
    Is the bike under warranty? I buckled a rear wheel on my GT when it was only a few months old and Halfords replaced it free. They weren't able to source a match so I paid a bit extra for a better one.

why wernt they able to get a match? its not like its a pokey lil shop its a world wide brand! and they couldnt find a match??

i guess its evrey one to there own but if a shop trys to fix something and it comes off worse than it went in im sure its there fault?

• waby1234
    sigorman85 wrote:
    handful wrote:

why wernt they able to get a match? its not like its a pokey lil shop its a world wide brand! and they couldnt find a match??

i guess its evrey one to there own but if a shop trys to fix something and it comes off worse than it went in im sure its there fault?

Which is basically what everyone has said.

And re not getting a match we don't know the details but parts are sometimes discontinued...
    2011 Carrera Fury

• DanDax1990
    P.S not under warranty but like sigorman said, They've made it far worse than it was before and the guy who I spoke to on the phone even agreed with me.
  • waby1234
    There's your answer then dandax, go for a replacement of some kind. They normally offer something as a gesture of goodwill in my experience too so just see how it goes.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• DanDax1990
    I'll try for a new bike as a gesture of good will then aha
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you paid any money?

One thing - no mechanic for certain can say if they can fix a buckled wheel with a glance. It takes a bloody good look at it. They should have said: "I'll have a look, I'll get back back to you".

If they can't fix, and you have not paid, you are no worse off.

But... you say it is worse? This could change things. How worse?
  • DanDax1990
    It's really bad, Before it wasn't that bad, The guy said himself compared to some wheels they sort out it is nothing.

He quoted me £10.99 before hand but didn't pay him on collection.
  • DanDax1990
    Took the wheel down a couple of hours ago and after they spent about half an hour on it the wheel is back to normal and looks fine.

Were actually really helpful and understanding.

Will see how it holds up once its on the bike.
  • waby1234
    Glad you got it sorted.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So the title of your thread should have been No Trouble with Halfords.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    Well it was trouble, One of their mechanics tried to take a job in he couldn't do.

Btw could the fact my wheel went out of true be because I'm running Schwalbe City Jets at a higher psi than MTB tyres therefore it'll feel bumps and knocks more? Was fine when running my Maxxis high rollers and I've only had the City Jets on for just over a week.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    what pressure are you running them at?
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    probably about 10psi over most mtb rim/tyre combos are rated to. They do have a point, but i'd say road ridint isn't as harsh on wheels, provided you're missing the potholes!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    could the fact my wheel went out of true be because I'm running Schwalbe City Jets at a higher psi than MTB tyres

no