I was enraged at the job center.

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
A staff member at the job center.

It was along these lines:

Her:"How are you going to travel to work"
Me: Bicycle
Her: oh....... really...., so if you lived in Manchester city center and had to travel to Tameside, you would get up looooaddddsss of hours before work to get there in time
Me: What? It's 6 miles, it'd take about 20-30 minutes.
Her: er...... no it would not, it takes me that long in the car.
Me: I could like do 50 miles in 2 hours.
Her: *ignores that*

Her: you've not done enough to warrant JSA, you don't show motivation or anything.
Me: *says nothing, thinking, well I'm tired, I'm soaked, and I'm at a job center and it's depressing, and you're trying to send me to flip burgers at McDonalds, wonder why I'm looking a bit miserable?*

The time will come when I will look for ANYTHIGN, but at the moment, I am aiming to find something that may contribute to my future.

Her: What other job category do you want me to find?
Me: SEO
Her: What is SEO!?!?! (In an tone that suggests, "ermmm... what the hell is that, sounds stupid"
Me: Search Engine Optimisation
Her: What does that do?
Me: optimises web pages for search engines
Her: Oh *confused* - says no more.

Suffice to say, it would not be acceptable for me to look for SEO jobs to them, because its not on their list of job categories.

I don't like the way they force you to get a job, I'd rather not be on JSA and be looking for shite jobs on my own than with them pressuring me.

You go in, they treat you like you're dumb,chav and what to live off £52 a week.

I'm neither, I want a job, but the way they go about trying to get me in a job in there is certainly counter productive and I was in a very bad mood coming from the job center, suffice to say, I don't care about picking my £52 up, more just telling her to *f off* (obviously I would not but I felt like it) and go look for jobs on my own steam.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I've never claimed jobseekers allowance when i've been on low income or unemployed. The problem is... if you don't claim JSA, then you will have difficulty getting any other support.

For example, Council tax discount/benefits: I applied for help as I'm on a low part time wage at the moment after working full time my whole adult life. However, they told me as I'm not claiming JSA there is nothing they can do and I have to pay full whack.

Maybe you should tell her you've been handing out CVs to shops all day and have phoned round all the fast food places and are really hopeful of a job there but in the mean time could you get JSA please?
  • willhub
    I'm actually on JSA.

It was apparently approved but is not in pay for some reason, so I need to ring an 0845 number to get redirected to loads of places probably and on the phone abut 30 minutes whilst they find out what's up by which time I've probably accumulated a large phone bill.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    willhub wrote:
    general stuff about not getting my taxes to spend on bike bits

It sounds like they're trying to get you to stay away. If they can keep you off JSA you're off the Govt's stats and you don't exist.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Usual crap from them then. I'm kinda barred from mine so unemployment isn't an option lol
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You just need to go with the flow a bit - humour them.

And learn to spell in English! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I once had an interesting discussion with a Job Centre advisor when I told her that 6 miles was close to a two hour walk, she said it was an hours walk. :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    Rolf F wrote:
    You just need to go with the flow a bit - humour them.

And learn to spell in English! :wink:

I think his real problem is that he lives in Iran. Jobcentreplus employees are a bit
    tougher now, with all the EU sanctions on that country.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    FWIW - never tell people you ll ride in an interview unless they re a proven MAMIL, or in a bike shop, or in Holland...There are nt enough of us yet.

Most people think it means you don't care and that you re going to get in late or tired and therfore do a worse job. Remember that everyone, no matter what they say, wants to employ the sucker that will work to the bone for no money, doing 4 hrs overtime a day and think it's the best thing in the world ever...You need to at least give the impresion that you agree.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,701
    Is there a way you could show her how many applications you've put out?

Say, print out every e-mail application you sent, with a time and date on it?

I had a friend who had a similar problem and she did that. Turned up with a stack of 60 paper.

They didn't have much to say at that point, and stumped up the cash.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    willhub - Just noticed that a load of website advertising SEO jobs popped up at the bottom of this thread - if it doesn't happen for you, start another thread titled - SEO job search - and then being a good for nothing, honey munching, cycling, layabout, 2.1 achieving (under), BR forumista might pay off for once... if my theory is correct. If not then clearly i was seeing things..
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    willhub wrote:
    Suffice to say, it would not be acceptable for me to look for SEO jobs to them, because its not on their list of job categories.
    Hmm - I hope you're not relying on the Job Centre to find you an SEO job !! You should be able to search for them yourself ... ;):mrgreen:

Job Centres are a PITA - only had to use one for a few weeks - they didn't seem to understand that the jobs they were suggesting for me wouldn't actually pay the mortgage .. But I was able to produce sufficient documentation to show I was actively looking for work.

TBH - if you're looking for SEO jobs then you may be better off going it alone in the short term - do some research into the local firms and their websites then go and visit them (with an appointment) - you'll earn more than the JSA ... and then have some work to show potential employers.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Redhog14 wrote:
    . . . being a good for nothing, honey munching, cycling, layabout . . .

:?: Honey munching? :?:
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

I would love to tell but we've been banned from talking about it...
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

I would love to tell but we've been banned from talking about it...

:wink:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    The second rule of Honey Muching Club is that you don't talk about Honey Munching club!

I thought Will had become enlarged at the job center (sic) and it was a tale of how he'd be subsequently thrown out as a result (almost said ejected but might not have been appropriate).
  • willhub
    I have to apply for anything and everything to get JSA, as if I don't apply for anything and everything I won't get 3 jobs a week and it's a requirement I apply for 6 jobs every fortnight.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I had to go to the job centre about 15 months ago thanks to a combination of events, they asked me a load of questions to which all I received in return were raised eyebrows and then a very funny answer of there's nothing we can do for you here :lol:

Still it ticked the boxes I needed at that time, no cash mind you, guess that's what I get for paying all my taxes etc should have stuffed it in a tax avoidance scheme :roll:

BTW SEO is a very very good career choice, also look at performance optimisation :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    You just need to play the system a bit Will - give them the stock answers, it doesn't have to be the truth so long as they can't prove it isn't.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • SPROCKET30
    SPROCKET30 Posts: 67
    As people have said go through the motions and apply for anything you see just for their little forms. I applied for a vetinary assistants job even though I'm a welder by trade. It did not even raise an eyebrow.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    You just need to play the system a bit Will - give them the stock answers, it doesn't have to be the truth so long as they can't prove it isn't.

SEO... that's Computer Operator is it not?
    Followed by applying for Oracle DBA* jobs, they don't know the difference...

*I'm trying to think of something there's no chance of actually getting and interview for without the right experience.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642

Pretty much this ..

Also, if you've got a mortgage apply for means tested JSA.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The Job Centre is for crap unskilled work. If you're looking for anything skilled and esp in IT you need to look yourself / recruitment agencies.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    DavidJB wrote:
    The Job Centre is for crap unskilled work. If you're looking for anything skilled and esp in IT you need to look yourself / recruitment agencies.

This!

http://www.theitjobboard.co.uk/index.ph ... vertSearch

Get yourself on Linked In, join some groups, make contacts etc.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    Lots of work snobs onthis thread, do you all work in offices with the ability to speak in tongues?

If you work manually then job centres can help, but like all things keep all options open.

where i work there are a lot of flaky jobs with strange titles, and even stranger people doing them, all trying to justify their existence, glad i work out in the field
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Lots of work snobs onthis thread, do you all work in offices with the ability to speak in tongues?

If you work manually then job centres can help, but like all things keep all options open.

where i work there are a lot of flaky jobs with strange titles, and even stranger people doing them, all trying to justify their existence, glad i work out in the field
    Oui! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Remember that everyone, no matter what they say, wants to employ the sucker that will work to the bone for no money, doing 4 hrs overtime a day and think it's the best thing in the world ever.

Can beat positivity! What a load of cods you're talking there.
  • daviesee
    Remember that everyone, no matter what they say, wants to employ the sucker that will work to the bone for no money, doing 4 hrs overtime a day and think it's the best thing in the world ever.

Nope. It goes on and there are people doing it right now.
    I know bosses that expect it and muppets that do it.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Remember that everyone, no matter what they say, wants to employ the sucker that will work to the bone for no money, doing 4 hrs overtime a day and think it's the best thing in the world ever.

Nope. It goes on and there are people doing it right now.
    I know bosses that expect it and muppets that do it.

Yes, I am sure it must go on but what the post that I quoted says is that everyone has that attitude. That is a ludicrous thing to say.
  • daviesee

Yes, I am sure it must go on but what the post that I quoted says is that everyone has that attitude. That is a ludicrous thing to say.
    Fair point.

One Extreme <<<<<<<< Most Things >>>>>> Other Extreme

:wink: