rim chipped, replace?

MDobs
MDobs Posts: 167
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I managed to take a chip out of my rim hitting a big lump of flint on a descent recently. Its probably only a couple of mm wide and about 1mm deep, and has a small ding in the rim around it as well. Should I look at replacing the wheel or will it be ok to continue riding on it?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not unless it's causing seating problems for the tyre and have discs.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    with that info.

maybe.

what is the spoke tension like?

ding? define. pics always help.

if you are not sure take it to a LBS for checking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    the 'ding' is actually tiny and not so worried about that, not like a fold/angled, more like a small round depression.

the chip is right on the lip of the rim but the tyre seated fine when i put it back on (got a double pinch puncture at the same time).

spoke tension seems ok, found one spoke which seemed a bit looser than the rest but very marginal and i'm pretty inexperienced checking these sort of things.

Really i was just trying to see if I should be worried at all, i think a trip to the LBS is a good idea

I don't have a hosting site for pics as haven't got into uploading photos to the net before, but i'll try and sort that out since I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment. If/when I do I'll pop some photos up.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    MDobs wrote:

I don't have a hosting site for pics as haven't got into uploading photos to the net before, but i'll try and sort that out since I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment. If/when I do I'll pop some photos up.

You can use a free online service such as flikr or imageshack.us