Padded underwear

SOYPS23
SOYPS23 Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hi new on here, hows things?

I only ride 2 miles each way to work but do find that some extra padding a bit nicer down below, if you know what I mean! :oops:

I just got a pair of Tenn Deluxe Padded Boxer Shorts Cycling Undershort and while good when riding I don't like them while sat in office for 11 hours, I know that lots of you will change into something else while at work but I just don't have that option, so does anyone know of a padded boxer short that can be worn all day?

Also how can I change my user name as I mistyped it! :|

Thanks

MP

8)

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Is there not a cubicle toilet?!

That's what I (and another colleague) use when we ride in. (no - not to wear - to get changed in! :D)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If your saddle is so uncomfortable that you need padded shorts to do a 2 mile ride, then 100% you need a new saddle. I cant imagine how bad a saddle would need to be for it to be painful after that short a ride. Spend your money on this rather than padding and wear normal underwear.
  • I agree with the above - 2 miles is very short, and if your saddle isn't comfortable for that small distance it's needs changing!

I don't know how experienced you are so exuse me I insult your intellect....

Saddles vary widely and so do bums. The saddle I like will not be the saddle mr A likes and not the one Mr B likes and so on and so forth. E.g. I rode on a charge spoon for a while - lots of people like it, say it's great. However it just felt too 'big'. Now I'm using a specialized roubix, which is better but I still feel I need a something thinner.

Padding for a two mile ride? IMO either change the saddle OR if your new to cycling (sorry I can't tell from you OP) give you bum some time to toughen up. It''ll take a few months and then it'll reach maximum toughness so to speak - in my experience
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I can't believe you don't have a toilet at work?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I do a 13-15mile round trip daily. For that I don't need padding and don't like the idea of stripping that far in the bogs at work or having nappy paranoia all day, you know, worrying that people can see the padding under tor clothes and think it's a nappy!

I only need padding for much longer rides where I'll be assuming the position on longish descents. But even then it's more because they fit well and don't rub much more than the actual padding that helps.

Measure the width of your bum bones and buy a saddle that fits you well, you don't have to spend much. OK seats start in the £20-30 range. From there up you'll get better materials as the price goes up.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • You could try the Craft Cool Bike Boxer.

Comfy, and a not too bulky pad.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    don't like the idea of stripping that far in the bogs at work
    I take it you cross your legs during the day then! ;)
  • daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    apreading wrote:
    If your saddle is so uncomfortable that you need padded shorts to do a 2 mile ride, then 100% you need a new saddle. I cant imagine how bad a saddle would need to be for it to be painful after that short a ride. Spend your money on this rather than padding and wear normal underwear.

I would agree. I never use padded shorts no matter what ride I do. I have saddles that I find comfortable. I know I'm old fashioned but I like Turbo, Rolls, and a recent favourite is the Charge Spoon. I have the Rolls and Turbo on bikes that I ride distance on. All day comfort without any padded shorts.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Charge spoon for me too. Love mine on the MTB so much that when I bought a Hybrid Road bike I bought one ready to swap - but strangely enough, the boardman saddle is equally as comfy, so have left it on. Just goes to show that you dont need to spend loads all the time!
  • SOYPS23
    SOYPS23 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys, I did forgot to mention that my doctor had told me to try padded short after I had a perianal abscess a few years ago and I think I've just got use to wearing them. I think my saddle might need a little adjustment I fill the front is angled up a little too much for me. I wouldn't use the loo's here at work to get change it, car factory! I rode in today with normal boxers and I must say the my Boardman saddle didn't seem that bad, it’s my balls, sorry, that seems the most uncomfortable, maybe because of the saddle angle?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just swap the padded shorts for boxers at the start of the day and vice versa before you go home. Having a sweaty pad stewing next your skin all day isn't going to do you any good 'downstairs'.
    If you really can't change your underwear in a cubicle, then I reckon you'd be better off not wearing the padded shorts for the 25 minutes per day tops (?) that you're on a bike, and having a clean, dry, non-sweaty undercarriage for the 8 hours+ that you're in work.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."