another fork thread!

duffers8
duffers8 Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Newbie here!
after some advice on forks for a felt compulsion frame which i recently inherited
the blurb states a 150mm travel set but tbh i cant afford this type of luxury bouncer so what are the parameters I can reduce this by - say to a 140 or less travel fork?

I know this increases stresses on the frame, ride etc but as I don’t intend on entering any down hill or cross country events so would like to hear everyone’s views

much appreciated
Duffers

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You can lower the travel but it will really affect the geometry of the frame. What's your budget? Someone may know of some cheap RS revs?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Whats your budget, what axle has your front wheel got? and 140mm will be fine.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    normally it is extending the fork travel that increases frame stress, although outside certain limits reducing it will do no good either.

the most imediate result of reducing travel in the fork will be to shorten the overall length of the fork, which will steepen the head angle (making the handling twitchier) and dropping the BB height (meaning your pedals/ crank will have less clearance)

I rekon a change in 10mm will make little difference (forks of the same travel can vary in Axle to crown (A2C) length by that much anyway) but then again I don't see that 140mm forks are especially cheaper than 150mm ones

look at actionsports.de and similar for RS revelation or RS Sektor forks. Both are available in 150mm length and can be had for <400 euros if you hunt well (I found a 150mm RS revelation with a tapered steerer and 15mm thro for 360 euros last week for a new build I'm doing)

I would contact felt customer service about going further than 140 if the recommended length is 150
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • duffers8
    Thanks guys
    Probably looking around the 150-£200 mark as a starter as I'm only just getting in to MTB and don't want to spend a fortune but then again don't want to buy crap!
    I have qr shimano hubs on Alex rims so they will have to be drop outs (if that's the right terminology) lol

At the moment eBay has been my hunting ground for bits so it's been a steep learning curve in trying to get the right part so here I hope to at least get advice from the experts!
    Thanks
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    You wont save much by going for a shorter travel fork-rockshox's 100-120mm travel reba tends to be around the same price as their 140-150mm travel revelation.

Try to find a discounted new revelation(in qr format) or a used one of the classifieds/ebay.
    If you cant find one in your price range, look at suntour's epicon. These come in 140mm travel versions and seem to be getting decent reviews at the moment.
  • duffers8
    cheers leaflite!