Which BB?

gowerpower
gowerpower Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am finding this area a bit of a minefield, can someone help point me in the right direction.

I have just bought a Muddy Fox Trail frame as a DJ bike project and need some advice on what BB to get.

The frame width is 68mm and I am looking for a Taper Square Spindle BB to fit an old crank, I want to get either a Superstar Double BB mounted chain device or a Blackspire Stinger .

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=336
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=17282

I am unsure if getting a BB mounted chain device will affect which BB I get?
I am also unsure how I identify what axle length I need?

I do not know the make or model of the crank or the chainline of the frame, does this create problems?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 yes it will. you will need an E type.
    2 need to know what the cranks are. make model year or part number.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gowerpower
    edited June 2012
    Does an E-Type BB come with a spacer for if you are not running a chain device?
  • nicklouse
    they dont come with anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • gowerpower
    Does this mean that the chain line would be off, if you use a E-Type BB without a chain device?
  • nicklouse
    yes.

unless you fit a spacer.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Price it up first though-it may be cheaper and better to get a new deore chainset for about £50 that includes a hollowtech bottom bracket. These include spacers so the chainline should be fine whether you use a chain device or not.
    This all depends on the quality of your current chainset though.