Long commute nutrition

rickyrider
rickyrider Posts: 294
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I recently moved further out of London and my 'commute' has now doubled. Used to be 21 miles, now 41 each way. I say 'commute' because with this distance and the terrain (first 20 miles across Chilterns) I'll only be doing one return journey each week as a split journey. Anyway, I rode in for the first time today, and I'm now struggling to find my usual energy at work. I ate a couple of eggs and toast before leaving, plus juice, ate a banana en route, and then a bowl of porridge when I got in. I only drank water whilst cycling.

Does anyone else have a very long ride into work and how do you manage to arrive fresh enough to be productive throughout the day? I guess its partly a case of getting used to it and building up more stamina over time. Anyway, was a great ride in despite the weather...

Comments

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I think you are right when you say you need to just get used to the distance but I also presume you have to get up earlier to fit it in? I occassionally used to do a commute from our house in Essex into London (around 35 miles) and the first few times I did that I was trashed. The major reason being I had to get up so early (5am) to have time to do it and factor in stops for punctures etc to make sure I wouldn't be late for work. After the first attempt I made sure I had everything ready the night before and got an early night in so I was starting the commute after a decent sleep.

Food wise it largely depends on what you are using the commute for. That's a pretty big distance on eggs on toast so I'd be inclined to take an energy drink or something else sugary that gives you some quick energy as the toast will take a while to filter through and until it does you are riding on empty effectively. That's alright if you are doing a short commute but on something of that distance you'll struggle. If you are using the commute to lose weight then you probably want to try and minimise the amount you eat for obvious reasons but there is a point at which this becomes counterproductive and you'll get ill/run down...

For the return journey I'd make sure you have a good lunch and then have something carby a couple of hours before you leave so that you aren't starting on an empty stomach. Depending on what time you leave work you'll probably be getting home dying for your dinner so it's also worth pre-planning something quick and simple on the nights you do it as theres nothing worse than a long commute and then the prospect of warming the oven up and cooking when all you want to do is shove food in your face!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It must be a matter of getting used to it.
    What you took would see me through just fine for that length of ride.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Depends too on how hard you are working. I was a little surprised when I engaged a sports nutritionalist - for days when I don't commute by bike, I'm barely on 2000kcals but for days when I do my 40-mile return leg (plus my 15 in), I'm on 4200kcals (which takes some eating as it's low carb generally). He based it upon the speed I do, HR etc etc I'm getting leaner (2 belt notches in already) and getting faster so something must be right.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rickyrider
    mrc1 wrote:
    I think you are right when you say you need to just get used to the distance but I also presume you have to get up earlier to fit it in? I occassionally used to do a commute from our house in Essex into London (around 35 miles) and the first few times I did that I was trashed. The major reason being I had to get up so early (5am) to have time to do it and factor in stops for punctures etc to make sure I wouldn't be late for work. After the first attempt I made sure I had everything ready the night before and got an early night in so I was starting the commute after a decent sleep.

Food wise it largely depends on what you are using the commute for. That's a pretty big distance on eggs on toast so I'd be inclined to take an energy drink or something else sugary that gives you some quick energy as the toast will take a while to filter through and until it does you are riding on empty effectively. That's alright if you are doing a short commute but on something of that distance you'll struggle. If you are using the commute to lose weight then you probably want to try and minimise the amount you eat for obvious reasons but there is a point at which this becomes counterproductive and you'll get ill/run down...

For the return journey I'd make sure you have a good lunch and then have something carby a couple of hours before you leave so that you aren't starting on an empty stomach. Depending on what time you leave work you'll probably be getting home dying for your dinner so it's also worth pre-planning something quick and simple on the nights you do it as theres nothing worse than a long commute and then the prospect of warming the oven up and cooking when all you want to do is shove food in your face!

Thanks for the reply - v useful. I think getting used to it is probably the key, but with this kind of distance and terrain I guess a pretty early night and plenty of sleep is pretty crucial too. Probably didn't get enough last night. I'm certainly not using the commute to lose weight particularly, although a few kilos would be nice, so I probably should think about a bottle of High 5 or similar. I think I didn't leave enough time between eating breakfast and setting off either.

Good point re return journey too. I used to find this harder than into work on my old commute, so with double the distance I'll need a good feed mid afternoon I reckon. And you're right about dinner waiting for you as well. I used to raid the fridge after my 21 mile commute, so the new one could get messy!
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    where in the chilterns? I have moved out to Beaconsfield, gone from a 10 miles each way every day to 27 miles each way once or twice a week, its the getting up super early that kills me!

I tend to have a banana or an energy bar, that suffices for me...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    As others have said, think it's a matter of getting used to it. I've started doing the odd 30 mile route into work (tripling of my normal distance and each time I've felt quite a bit better at work than the time before.

That said, I also did a few twenty milers into work before that and kept my heart rate below 141 - was absolutely fine at work following. Perhaps could try something like that to start with?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • i have done 40 miles each way as well, nutrition wasn't really a problem, in the mornings i dont tend to eat much only a cereal bar and then my bottle topped up with SIS lemon energy drink. for both my 20 mile and 40 mile commute home, i usually have a add hot water pot of pasta just to get a bit of energy into my body, and top up the water bottle.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rickyrider
    flamite wrote:
    where in the chilterns? I have moved out to Beaconsfield, gone from a 10 miles each way every day to 27 miles each way once or twice a week, its the getting up super early that kills me!

I tend to have a banana or an energy bar, that suffices for me...

From Wendover - beautiful ride into London. First block down to Chesham absolutely cracking, although you certainly need a cx bike down some of the lanes...

I guess we all have quite different metabolisms, so what works for one person won't necessarily suffice for the next. I think I burn through fuel quite fast, hence the slight struggle this morning.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I do think the advice about "just getting used to it" maybe a bit flawed on its own. 41 miles each way is a serious bit of distance especially if it isn't flat. 2 hours of effort at any sort of pace has to be 1000kcals at least. That's too much to just be a daily deficit on its own - if it's both directions in the same day (82 miles) it would be foolish not to get calories on board before and after each leg and plenty of protein too afterwards
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH