Quick and lazy gardening

2»

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Concrete. Job done.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    Napalm - it's the only way. Slash and burn. ;-)

We've a really small garden. Paving surrounding a circular lawn. All plants are in pots. Low maintenance. Lovely. More time to ride.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Garry H wrote:
    Concrete. Job done.
    Or get a goat.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    FocusZing wrote:
    Evergreen Complete works very well.
    Holy thread resurrection! :shock:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    Chop all surrounding trees down to reduce shade. Kill the moss, rake out dead moss, don't rake out moss unless it completely dead otherwise you'll spread it all over the lawn. Fill bare areas with a mixture of topsoil and seed. Water regularly (nothing beats rain) buy a lawn systematic weed killer. Fertilise, spring, summer and autumn, don't fertilise in dry hot weather. Rake and spike in spring and autumn, water and cut regularly. :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Evergreen Complete is great for killing off moss and making the grass greener. However it does nothing for the infestation of Self Heal or The Devils 4rsehole weed as I call it. Absolute 8astard stuff.

selfheal-2-lc.jpg

Plus, unless all your neighbours are looking after their lawns, then all the treatments in the world are pointless.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    screw the lawn ... weeds are green, moss is green, grass is green ... just mow it and come to terms with you are never going to use it as a putting green so you have gone for the natural look ... infact embrace it and throw some clover seed down .... nothing is nicer on bare feet than soft clover.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Evergreen Complete is great for killing off moss and making the grass greener. However it does nothing for the infestation of Self Heal or The Devils 4rsehole weed as I call it. Absolute 8astard stuff.

:lol:

I was just thinking "that looks nice, where do I get some" and then read what you'd written. Perhaps not then.

I'm with fat Daddy, as long as the bugger's green, I don't care what's in it. And like others have said, if I start to treat it* I'm going to end up with patches of 'not green' and that's no good.

Having said that, the garden is the preserve of Mrs Slog. She likes to cut the little bit of grass we have, and it only takes a few minutes. I do the hedges a couple of times a year, they are about 1.8 and 2 metres high. The rest of it seems to look after itself, but I know it's really down to Mrs Slog.

*(always brings to mind the idea of taking it to the cinema)

The older I get, the better I was.

• fat daddy
    Having a 5 year old helps as well ..... anything that grows in the lawn like daisies, dandilions, moss, clover .. its all great use for decorating Fairy houses and making beds for them

then during the rainy season the lawn gets destroyed as running up and down on wet grass and the area under the swing gets worn to mud

there is just no point in maintaining it .... the more varied and more it can occupy a 5 year old the better
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    fat daddy wrote:
    Having a 5 year old helps as well ..... anything that grows in the lawn like daisies, dandilions, moss, clover .. its all great use for decorating Fairy houses and making beds for them

then during the rainy season the lawn gets destroyed as running up and down on wet grass and the area under the swing gets worn to mud

there is just no point in maintaining it .... the more varied and more it can occupy a 5 year old the better

If only someone had told the OP this when he posted the thread and he might have a 5 year old by now...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    rjsterry wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Concrete. Job done.
    Or get a goat.

Better still, a goat with a concrete mixer.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Do what my in-laws did, dig up the real grass and replace with fake grass. Don't do what their neighbours did and use fak grass that looks like greengrocer displays from the 70s.

To be fair to both, their gardens had been extended to include a former railway embankment and turf wouldn't take root in the steep ash filled soil.
  • fat daddy
    HaydenM wrote:
    If only someone had told the OP this when he posted the thread and he might have a 5 year old by now...

:mrgreen: ha ha ha ... hadent noticed that ... well if he has got a 5y/o by now he wont give a sh1te about his grass, or the carpets, walls, back of the car ...... it reevaluates your whole perspective on keeping things nice.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    fat daddy wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

:mrgreen: ha ha ha ... hadent noticed that ... well if he has got a 5y/o by now he wont give a sh1te about his grass, or the carpets, walls, back of the car, the walls, the skirting, being tidy, clutter, smart clothes without spillages and stains, ...... it reevaluates your whole perspective on keeping things nice.

[Edit]

This year I got 6 x 1 litre yoghurt pots, drilled some holes in the bottom of them, screwed them to a plank of decking. Then I got the girls to put a little gravel in them and fill them with compost. Then they planted runner beans. I made a trellis out of bamboo canes and cable ties. Now they have to water them and look after them.
    By getting them involved, they have taken care of them and even fight over who waters them and I hope I can extend their care to the rest of the foliage. So far, so good.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    You want decking. End of discussion.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Mouth wrote:
    You want decking. End of discussion.

Don't come on here threatening long time posters!
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    vitesse169 wrote:
    I've built a 20' X 10' workshop for all the bikes & allied equipment, a 15' X 15' patio a 3mtr square gravelled area, hardstanding for the blow-up hot tub, 6' X 12' chicken run and a 8' X 8' BBQ area..... leaving a 6' X 15' area for the brambles and weeds - simples....

You sir are my hero! I HATE gardening and all that it involves. Maybe I will grow to like it later in life. For now it is the bane of my life.

BBQ, Chickens, Hot tub and bike store. You are living the dream.