Replacing front sram x5 shifter with an x9

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Can you replace a sram x5 front trigger shifter with an x9 for a 3x10 system? LBS dont have an x5 in stock and lead date is late July. LBS think it is OK but were not 10% sure (they are giving it a go) but I though I'd ask here as I have an idle moment :).

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as long as they are both 10spd yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sandy771
    Thanks.

Just out of interest why would you need a 10sp shifter for the front derailure. I would have thought that its the 3x bit thats important here.
  • nicklouse
    read the FAQs on this.

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12733834
    4. Nine speed front dérailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front dérailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front dérailleur.

you "may" have issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sandy771
    Thanks nicklouse

The link says you can't do it but doesn't say why?

LBS have fitted the shifter and all works OK - but after reading this thread they are getting cold feet in respect of any problems that could occur and whether by fitting the 'incorrect' shifter they may be opening themselves up to problems further down the line if their is a problem that could possibly be attributed in any way to the new shifter.
  • nicklouse
    if it works fine then dont worry.
  • sandy771
    Thanks for your help but I think you need to update your FAQ :) I had this from SRAM tech support
    You’re quite right in thinking that the 3spd portion of a set is 3spd irrespective of the set it comes from, so yes, you can use the front shifter from a 3/9spd set.