Pedals

Big Jim1
Big Jim1 Posts: 182
edited June 2012 in Road general
Another silly question from me.

But when cycling, do you generally
1, put your toe end of your foot bang in the middle of the peddle (so your heel is hanging over the edge a fair way).
2, Or have the heel of your foot bang in the middle of the peddle (such that your toes are hanging over the front end of the peddle).

perhaps a really beginner type question, but I generally do 1 above, but my heel tends to hit my pannier a bit now.

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    The ball of your foot over the pedal spindle (centre of pedal).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/401973-proper-foot-placement-on-a-bike-pedal/
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    You also should be able to move the cleat position to ensure your foot is in a comfortable position for you. Mine slide forward and back an inch or so on both sets of shoes.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    ball of foot over the pedal axel, same place every time.

but then i use Clipless pedals as opposed to flats.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Jeepie wrote:
    Mine slide forward and back an inch or so on both sets of shoes.
    and you then fasten them in the right place - you don't leave them sloppy do you...
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Slowbike wrote:
    and you then fasten them in the right place - you don't leave them sloppy do you...
    Correct
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    RowCycle wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Correct
    Thought so :) - Just clarifying for anyone not used to cleats reading this for the first time! ;)
  • Big Jim1
    Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Brilliant. I know it's a silly question, but it looks like I've been doing it wrong for some time.

thanks everyone :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The solutions for heel clip/pannier interference:
    Use panniers with a heel cutout profile rather than a simple rectangular box shape.
    Move your pannier further back on the rack. This may not be possible with some pannier mounts and it can unweight the steering on short-wheelbase bikes.
    Move your rack up or back using a spacer. You can make one out of scrap steel using hand tools if you have access to a workshop.
    Check your crank length. Small frames with long cranks can cause heel clip.
    Check your shoe styling. Excessive heel mouldings can stick out an extra cm or so.