Questions after my first crash

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I had my first crash at the weekend, clipped another riders wheel and went sprawling across the Tarmac, thankfully just some grazes, pulled muscles and hurt pride! I have given my bike a once over and everything appears ok, apart from the rear mech hanger, which is going to be replaced. The questions I have are:

My bike is a boardman road carbon 2010 and I can't tell if there are any cracks in the frame. There are no splits On the outer shell, however under the shell I have noticed what appear to be cracks; however they are straight lines, two either side of the front post (the name escapes me) and another by the seat post. Should they be there or are they likely to be cracks caused by the crash?

There is a graze on the rear mech, I cant see any other damage and the bike got me through the last 20 miles of my cycle, and there appears to be no issue with the movement of it. How strong are rear mechs? Am likely to have to replace it?

I landed sideways and there are a couple of little scrapes on the side and rear of my helmet. How can I tell if it needs replacing?

Thanks

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Could you put some photo's up so we can see?

From the sounds of it, if your in any doubt get it checked over properly. The last thing you want is a failure while riding. Also I'd probably treat myself to a new helmet for peace of mind.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Dirk1978
    Dirk1978 Posts: 148
    Will get some photos taken and upload them.

In thought that may be the case with helmet, shame as it is a lovely Las Anubis, it was only the 2nd ride in it!