mapping/routing/GPX wishlists?

formerlyknownasbonj
formerlyknownasbonj Posts: 483
edited June 2012 in Road general
I'm thinking of making some sort of mapping/routing/GPX-handling/processing type site as I reckon I've got the knowledge to be able to do it.
I know what sort of features I'd want, but I'm not most cyclists. The point is not to make my own life convenient but to have something that will be popular, and thus hopefully eventually make money from ads but whilst also being free for anybody to use (which it has to be to use google maps anyway).
So if anybody has any ideas for any manner of functionality that bikehike et al doesn't have, please give me some ideas.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    There a quite a few already so you're going to have to find a "unique" feature that none currently have.

I use ridewithgps.com to plan a route befor I go out. I like it because it allows me to switch between Google Maps and OSM. Google maps are frequently out of date, showing roads that have long since been closed. So being able to compare different map providers is useful. Bing is another map provider.

The other thing I like about ridewithgps is it has good export functions to Garmin.

When I get back from my ride I upload my data from my Garmin to Strava.com and Garmin Connect.

Strava I like for segments and comparing my data against others. I also like the simple Facebook button to publish my ride to social media. The only thing I dislike is I would like to be able to make the map larger.

Garmin Connect I like to analyse the data in more depth, cadence, temperature, laps etc.

It's a crowded market and everyone is playing catchup with Strava.
  • hmm that's given me a few reasonable ideas, cheers.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    the ability to add course directions anywhere on a route and not just at junctions.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Enabling the data from a GPS ride to automatically pick up an existing route when you upload the data to the site.
    I have lots of routes and often do not decide which one I will do until out on the ride. With the likes of Mapmyride and Garmin Connect, I then have to search the existing routes to tie them in to see how my latest time compares. Picking them up and matching automatically would be beneficial.

Data on average and maximum steepness of climbs and descents would be interesting.
  • Gizmodo
    the ability to add course directions anywhere on a route and not just at junctions.
    Ridewithgps allows you to add a POI at any point. I use it to display on my Garmin "Sprint" when I get to the start of a Strava segment. Whether I can sprint or not it doesn't help me with. Now there is a feature ... :D
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Regarding strava would like a bleep for a start and finish point on a segment.
  • Gizmodo
    Here's one for you. I stopped my Garmin the other day when I got to the club, but then I forgot to start it again. There was 6 miles of the route unrecorded.

If you could display the route on a map and allow me to add extra points in the unrecorded section, then drag and drop those points onto the roads that were actually ridden. Then you'd have to work out the time taken and the give each new point a time.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    banditvic wrote:

+1
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • pdsalmon
    pdsalmon Posts: 55
    I think the Strava integration type features would be the way to go

A beep at the start of a segment, with a visual message on screen would be great.

How about a way of linking a number of strava segments in a selected area and auto producing a route from that? Sort of drag a highlight box on a map on your website and then produce a route taking in all segments? With an option to keep on or off certain road types. EG don't route down unmade roads (these show up as tiny roads when zooming in close enough on Google) or down larger main roads (say, all 60mph roads) I've routed myself down unmade tracks only suitable for MTBs before and sent myself down a dual carriage way for 3 miles too - not always fun!

Maybe provide strava links to each segment you planned route will cover, so you can easily go and see which ones might be up for grabs and which you might want to target - maybe a non local has KOM! Or a pro holds it (no chance for me)

Definately need garmin auto export, both course points and map points.

I'm not too bothered about having anywhere else to upload rides to - I use Garmin Connect and Strava and won't change for the forseable future - I'm attached to Strava. I use bikeroute toaster and have no qualms about moving from that program.

I believe that there are a number of websites taking data from strava - I focus on that area and see what other benefits you could come up with - Strava is the big thing at the moment.

And if your wanting other ideas, check out the support section of Strava - a few feature requests from users on there you could nip in with first.
  • AlanW wrote:
    banditvic wrote:

+1

nice idea, but that'd actually require control of the device and not something the web site could do. (I think?)