Cables/Hoses

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Could someone please link me/recommend me some good gear cables and brake hoses front and rear at a reasonable price?

If possible I'd like some red cables/hoses.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Clarks cables and Superstar hoses are what I use on the Marin, they work and are reasonably cheap.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Recently fitted some Jagwire ripcord outers to my Anthem.Happy with them so far.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • DanDax1990
    Was looking at the Clark's, £10.99 from Evans if I remember correctly and been looking at those Superstar hoses for the brakes too. Your's braided or non-braided?

Do I need to buy one of their fitting kits or can I use the bits already on my breaks or is it worth the small price for their own kits?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Just using the standard hoses, no point in spending the extra on the fancy ones. AFAIK you will need a new fitting kit but they are good value compared to a lot of other fitting kits.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All brake hoses are braided. Normal ones are generally kevlar. Blingy shiny Goodridge and similar are expensive and pointless on bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Dont spend a fortune on fancy gear cables just get a length of shimano brake cable outer and use that with your gear cables, its slightly bigger than gear cable outer so the cables run super smooth and with a full length wil remain that way.
  • cooldad
    Don't do this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    I'd do what jayson said... But I don't want to hence why I asked about other cables... Ideally red ones...

Don't see why a lot of people on here are 'anti-bling' etc... Everyone want's to make their bike their 'own'?

It's a small price to pay plus I need new cables as the current ones are in really bad condition.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It's not anti-bling, it's anti-nonsense.
    If you want coloured brake hoses, get some normal hoses, and cover them in coloured shrinkwrap.
    There is zero performance advantage from braided hoses.

Although, yeah, some of us do think it's a mountain bike, not a fashion statement. And we ride in the dirt, not on catwalks.
  • DanDax1990
    Zzz, Where did I say that the colour would improve the performance?

If I had loads of spare time I'd do the shrink wrapping myself but seems as I don't and I need new hoses/cables I may aswell buy them in the desired colour to start with.
  • cooldad
    Plenty on Ebay and Superstar sell coloured brake hoses.
    The point I was making that expensive braided metal hoses are expensive and make no difference.
    If I am spending money on my bikes I prefer to spend on stuff that makes a difference.
    But if you need cables, and wnat red, then I have no argument.
    Except cables and hoses should be black.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Zzz, Where did I say that the colour would improve the performance?
    You didn't. I'm just explaining why some of us are "anti-bling" as you so eloquently put it.
  • Shylock
    Shylock Posts: 98
    I see where your coming from, as has been said superstar have some good stuff.

There, OP answered! Simples....
  • DanDax1990
    Why should they be black? lol. I'm not gonna pay more for the braided ones was just wondering if there was a plus side to them but clearly there isn't :)
  • cooldad
    Because that is a law of nature. Mess with it at your peril.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools