Shiamno level of quality?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited June 2012 in Road general
Hi all,

Is there a rule with the different sub brands of Shimano?

Am I right in saying Tiagra is the lowest, then Ultega then dura ace? or have I got that completely wrong?

Many thanks,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... /road.html

click on products then road. the "best" is at the top and the lowest at the bottom with some being the same level just different uses.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bike-Rich
    Great :) so I was right.

Another question is, are there 3 'main' road bike makers?

SRAM, Shimano and campolongo? And these parts cannot be interlinked? i.e a shimano crank with a sram chain ring?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sram and shimano do mix as can other parts. the main parts that do not are the STIs and the gears. so Sram STIs with Sram mechs etc. Campy dont seem to mix to well with anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bike-Rich
    Perfect, starting to understand it all now,
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    Great :) Another question is, are there 3 'main' road bike makers?
    SRAM, Shimano and campolongo? And these parts cannot be interlinked? i.e a shimano crank with a sram chain ring?
    If you mean 'main road bike parts makers', then yes, as Nick said. SRAM, Shimano and Campolongo are the main manufacturers of brake/gear levers, chainsets and gears. They also make other parts such as wheels and brake calipers but in those markets there is a lot more competition. I don't believe that they make bike frames.
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks,

Something I also do not know about;

Are all road bike frames the same to start with or are they customized to fit a specific part for life? For example, on my road bike I have hollowtech bottom brackets - am I restricted now to always have hollow-tech or could I completely change to an internal type if i wanted?
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Assuming its a threaded BB you could change yes
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    Hi all,

Is there a rule with the different sub brands of Shimano?

Am I right in saying Tiagra is the lowest, then Ultega then dura ace? or have I got that completely wrong?

Many thanks,
    yep but you missed a couple out -2300, sora, tiagra,105, ultegra, dura ace
    Death or Glory- Just another Story