Support networks and cycling / sports performance

Dee2
Dee2 Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Road general
Hi
Just wondered if any of you have ever given any thought to how support from family, friends, team mates, cycling buddies, partners or coach can help your cycling performance?
Do you think support can be counter productive or can help you to run better?

I got interested in this topic during when I was completing my MSc in Sports and Health sciences. I kept reflecting back to the cycling and running events that I completed pre-children as I used to train a lot with a good friend. I realised that when we were 'in-sync' that we both performed really well (well to our standard anyway). But if either one of use was having a bad day the support from the other could either be productive or counter-productive.

There are load of theories out there as to how support from others can help and the research is generally positive if support comes from team mates or family and in many instances support can boost the self confidence and have a positive effect on performance. :shock:

Do any of you have experience with this? If so I would be interested to know your thoughts.

If anyone is interested in helping out with research on this topic I am helping out with a PHD project into the perceptions of natural support networks in sport.
The research is being conducted through the University of Exeter's sports and health school.
If you would like to help out we are looking for people to complete an online questionnaire. It takes around 10 minutes to complete. But some people have found it takes nearer 15 minutes if they are really focusing on the answers.
This research is looking to evaluate the perceptions of sports participants (it doesn't matter if you are at a competitive or recreational standard) natural support networks.
I have designed the online questionnaire myself and it is hosted by the secure 'survey monkey' site. I chose this site for the security and because it doesn't cost very much!

:idea: If anyone is happy to help with this research please go to the link below. If it doesn't work for any reason the link can be copied into the URL box on another web page. Please let me know if there are any problems or if you would like more information about the study. :?:

Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Athletes-perception-of-support-in-sport

Any thoughts on this topic? :D:(