Route advice Galibier, D'Huez etc

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
It's all now confirmed, the hotels, ferry, camping are all booked and we have 3 full days of riding staying near Grenoble. I want to make the most of it and take in as many big climbs as possible.

Can anyone recommend some good circular routes taking in some of the famous cols. Don't really want to do more than 120 miles a day maximum.

I'd prefer to avoid descents on crappy narrow roads.

Edit: we've pretty much decided we'll do the Marmotte route on one of the days.

Comments

• andrewleck
    andrewleck Posts: 45
    Take a look here, http://www.grenoblecycling.com/

When are you going? I should be on the col de la Machine on the 2nd Glandon/ croix de Fer on the 3rd and Huez/ Sarenne on the 4th July before venturing further afield.
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Naturally as you're near ADH, there are the usual suspects (Glandon, Croix de Fer, Galibier, Les 2 Alpes, ADH itself, La Sarenne, but for something a bit different, if you are heading from Grenoble itself, try this:-
    At Sechillienne, turn right and climb up the Col de la Morte, up to the ski resort of Alpe du Grand Serre. Then follow the D114 all the way to Sevioz (nice valley ride). At Sevioz, you have 2 options:-
    A - turn left towards Entraigues. In Entraigues, turn left and head up and over the Col d'Ornon. When you've descended the Ornon, it'll bring you into the valley near Bourg D'Oisans. Turn left to follow the road back to Grenoble (descends slightly most of the way). CARE - as it is a busy road, but we were always given enough room by the motorists.
    B - turn right towards La Mure on the D26. Stay on the D26 until you come to a junction with the D114, turn right and follow this until there is a left hand junction onto the D114d. Follow this until you come to the N85. Turn right and head past 3 nice lakes (Pierre-Chatel, Petichet and Grand Lac de Laffrey), and on toward Vizille, then back to your digs.

Have a good one.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    @andrew, we're going a few days later than you, thanks for the link

@Cumbrianman, I like the look of that first route, we're actually staying nearer to Vizille so that makes perfect sense and we can do ADH before we head home.
  • DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    Take a look at the route for the Sportcommunication La Granfondo les Deux Alpes
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/pdf/carte/carte74.pdf
    It is similar to the first route suggested by CumbrianMan but travels in the opposite direction and goes over the Parquetout, not a long col but it will get the blood running from your eyes - here is the profile
    http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Col-de-Parquetout&MountainID=6313
    The route also includes the balcony road from La Garde on the Alpe d'Huez road, a nice ride. Les Deux Alps is a climb rather than a col so you you could leave that part out.