Garmin Vs Bryton Vs Memory Map

captain_kelly
captain_kelly Posts: 35
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I know this is a common topic as I've read a fiar few of the current posting on it, though some are not that recent.

So I thought I'd ask the question about just whichis best.

From looking at the Garmin, it looks like i'd have to go for the Edge 800 for a map display, it's pretty steep in terms of cost, so was wondering if there were any other benefits with it?

Ideally I'd get a decent GPS, and also be able to hook in a cadence & HRM.

It's a pain in the ass to keep getting out my iphone to check where i'm going, and I just don't want to use it mounted, as at teh end of the day it's my phone, email and everything else, so could do with it staying in one piece!

Help!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    No experience of the Bryton kit - but I do have the Edge 800
    I've recently downloaded OSMs to it and they're better (for me) than the Garmin own ones - far more detail and includes tracks.

I got the whole package - HRM and cadence/speed sensor - it's a bit overkill for the riding I do - but it is nice to have on the bars - so much better than getting the phone out!!
    The only advantage I can see of using the phone is that it will upload the ride direct to whatever site you want (if you run the right app!) ... the big downside is that it chews the battery up too quickly ...

The touch screen of the 800 can be a bit of a pain in the wet - you can't easily wipe the screen without changing the display - unless you've locked it ... other than that it's pretty much plug and go !
  • Ka12
    Ka12 Posts: 216
    I have recently bought the Bryton Rider 50 (£144 in sale) and it is great, easy to create routes and tracks rides really well. The maps on screen are good and zoom function works well. You can get the HRM and Cadence but I didn't need that. Would recommend the Rider 50 :)
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Ka12 wrote:
    I have recently bought the Bryton Rider 50 (£144 in sale) and it is great, easy to create routes and tracks rides really well. The maps on screen are good and zoom function works well. You can get the HRM and Cadence but I didn't need that. Would recommend the Rider 50 :)

Can you use OSM maps with the Bryton yet?
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • cryocon
    cryocon Posts: 46
    No OSM maps, but they have updated the maps to include off-road routes. Although I did do some off-roading last weekend, first time since updating the maps, and the routes seemed to be all over the place so not sure where they've got their data from. There is supposed to be a new Bryton coming out later this year with OS maps, but I guess more expensive too. Other than that the Rider 50 is great and a lot cheaper than a Garmin.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    Heard some people recommend the Garmin Etrex 30 over the Edge 800, but not tried either.
    Better display (?), not touchscreen (plus for some), takes AA batteries (useful for longer tours).
    Etrex also might be more useful if you also do hillwalking etc.
    Doesn't have all the training functions, but can (I think) couple with HRM and cadence.
    Both need OSM or expensive OS 1:50000 mapping, basemaps are hopeless.
  • whosthedaddy
    whosthedaddy Posts: 136
    Garmin 800 for road, its compact and does everything you want
    I also have a Memory Map Adventurer 3500, not really suitable for road biking, but ideal for MTB & walking
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    name says it all really

Read and see why you should only use a 'V' meter
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I've got a Memory Map adventurer 2800. I wasn't after a training aid but wanted something to stop me getting lost and that I could also use for walking, and its very good for that. The bike mounts are rather clunky though and certainly not streamline. I've broken three of the things and have given up buying new ones and am currently using a lot of blu-tac to stop it rattling.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    name says it all really

Read and see why you should only use a 'V' meter

Yeah, but the rules are complete sh1te written by bored students who aren't as funny or clever as they think they are - just ignore them :wink:

The Bryton isn't bad - I only have the basic maps on mine but they are all you need for road navigating. The high def maps have recently been upgraded but some people seem to prefer the old ones as the new ones have more lines and detail that make the route you want less clear!

There is a new Bryton mapping unit due out which should be an equivalent to the 800. Not sure what the timescales are but it will probably be a while yet.

Most of the time I much prefer the smaller units (ie Bryton 35 and 40, Garmin 500) - they are much less obtrusive on the bars and the breadcrumb trail navigating is mostly all you need. The maps come into their own when you are well off familiar territory and where you like to change your route on the go. Day rides are good with the breadcrumbs - touring is better with the mapping.

You can get a Bryton 50 and a Bryton 35 for less than the price of an 800 which, though less bulky and much prettier than a Bryton 50 is still a big lump of lard on the stem compared to a 35 or 500.
    Faster than a tent.......