Fao Cwnt isle of man

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited July 2012 in The hub
im without bike, so any suggestions what to do on the isle of man, that would be great thanks.

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    As far as I remember, CWNT is on his holybobs, so I'll give my two penny's worth

Loads to do, depending on what you like. I'm presuming you are staying in Douglas? Most of the nightlife is here, as well as the theatre and cinema
    As for things to do, well there is lots to do

There's the railways: Steam from Douglas - Port Erin, Tram from Douglas - Ramsey and Mountain Railway Laxey - Snaefell http://www.iombusandrail.info/

If you like history there is lots to do with Manx National Heritage. Peel Castle, Rushen Abbey, Castle Rushen, Cregneash Folk Museum, Manx Museum, The Grove at Ramsey, Laxey Mines & Wheel; the list goes on http://www.gov.im/mnh/

If the other half likes the shopping then unlucky, but Tynwald Mills is good, though quite expensive. Otherwise there are shops in Douglas.

If you like walking there are many to do. There are also the natural beauty spots of the Sound and Nyarbil.

Hope this helps.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Go check out the motorcyle museum on the top of the mountain. Get ragged in one of the bars. Chill out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go check out the motorcyle museum on the top of the mountain. Get ragged in one of the bars. Chill out.
    So that's day one. Sounds like a rubbish holiday to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ok, go watch some racing. There's always some racing going on there somewhere.
  • compo
    Southern 100 in July
  • bobpzero
    sweet, thanks all. ill be foot passenger to save a bit for the buses.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981

Shut about 7yrs ago sadly.

Back off my hols now.

As others have said, there is indeed plenty to do here, it depends what you're after. There is absolutely bucketloads of history all over the place. You coming on your own? with family? kids etc?
    Where you staying? how you getting about?

If you're doing the touristy thing, the railways should be on the list. Steam railway from Port Erin to Douglas, Horse drawn tram along Douglas Prom, Electric railway up to Ramsey (stopping off at Laxey to do the mountain railway). You can see loads of the Island that way too.

There is the Venture Centre over near Ramsey, they can arrange all kinds of sporty things, gorge walking, sea kayaking and so on.

Laxey Wheel is another good one for the inner engineer (kids get some activity stuff to do too). The cafe that's just opened over the road from them is really nice too.

Peel castle.

Trips over to the Calf of Man (really nice day out if the weather is nice)

To top it all off, if you're in Douglas, give us a shout and you can go for a pint with the Cat With No Tail at the Cat With No Tail.

I might be talked into lending you a bike to get around too.

Don't forget that we've got Tynwald day (and 2 bank holidays) on July 4th and 5th.
  • bobpzero
    itll be 8th july to the 11th july. going with my dad, staying in the Devonian on Broadway. will be using the buses. he wants to get a ride on the steam train to and from Port Erin. and go round the tt course.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    They sell week long tickets for the buses, trains etc, I think they call them explorer tickets or something. You'll be able to get them from the tourist board in the sea terminal when you arrive. Should work out cheaper than buying single tickets if you're planning on getting out and about a fair bit.

As for a lap of the course, you'll be hard pushed to do it all in one go, unless you hire a car or get a taxi driver to take you or something (which would be much much money).

If you're in Port Erin, lunch at the Station pub is very tasty, can't recommend it highly enough.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your into real ale I can reccomend the Sidings in Castletown lots of real ales and always well kept. Cracking pub with latish buses back to Duggie. If you want to do the TT course by bus about 2/3 of it can be done, get bus to Peel then change to Ramsey bus but as far as I can remember no buses over the mountain. Maybe get cab from Ramsey back to Douglas to complete circuit but as CWNT says you had better be prepared to sacrifice an arm or leg.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • compo

If you're in Port Erin, lunch at the Station pub is very tasty, can't recommend it highly enough.

+potato

The chips are like Railway Sleepers!

Try the Bay on the front for the better beer though the food isn't as good
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Go to the Station in Port Erin then get the bus down to the Sound.
    Sit about down there and just watch the world go by :D

We do that every time we're over for the TT and I can't think of anything more relaxing than lazing about in the sunshine at the Sound.

Another favourite when we're over is to head to Peel, take a look about and get some fresh smoked kippers from Moores :D:D
  • compo
    Peel is a sh#thole, end of.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    compo wrote:
    Peel is a sh#thole, end of.

Could be worse, could be Foxdale. They eat people in Foxdale. You can hear them all descending from the hills on a night, knuckles dragging along the ground as they go. It's like something out of "The Hills Have Eyes".
  • compo
    Could be worse, could be Foxdale. They eat people in Foxdale. You can hear them all descending from the hills on a night, knuckles dragging along the ground as they go. It's like something out of "The Hills Have Eyes".

:lol:
  • bobpzero
    a small thankyou, a couple of photos
    7662073162_7965dc8a93_b.jpg
    7662071348_b9a4c62840_b.jpg