London Bus Strike

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's the standard affair.

Union takes action to get members more money.

People who pay said money don't like it.

No way!

Having said that, you'd think going for more pay generally, rather than just the olympics, would be an easier sell.

Then again, maybe they figure they're more likely to get a one off like the olympics then anything permanent.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited June 2012
    notsoblue wrote:
    Its not Bob though. And I disagree with this point of view. Union leaders don't have to answer to anyone other than their members. Ad hominem attacks on union leaders are pretty silly.
    See above :oops:

I still think that while all Union leaders are only answerable to their members, some don't always act with their members best interests at heart.
    But it is only my opinion.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Its not Bob though. And I disagree with this point of view. Union leaders don't have to answer to anyone other than their members. Ad hominem attacks on union leaders are pretty silly.
    See above :oops:

I still think that while all Union leaders are only answerable to their members, they don't always act with their members best interests at heart.
    But it is only my opinion.

They get elected don't they?

Reasonably frequently too IRRC.
  • daviesee

Ever been to a Union meeting?
    In my experience most is decided behind closed doors and the voters are encouraged to vote the way the Union wants. It's up to them to do otherwise but they rarely do.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:

Ever been to a Union meeting?
    In my experience most is decided behind closed doors and the voters are encouraged to vote the way the Union wants. It's up to them to do otherwise but they rarely do.

Pfft.

Recruiters? Unions?

Hah!

No, I haven't. I can't see how this action isn't in the interest of the bus drivers?

At least in London you rarely have to communicate with them, which already makes them better than the provincial bus drivers who get shirty with me when they charge me £4.10 for a day rider and I pay with a tenner.
  • daviesee
    Pfft.

Recruiters? Unions?

Hah!

No, I haven't. I can't see how this action isn't in the interest of the bus drivers?

At least in London you rarely have to communicate with them, which already makes them better than the provincial bus drivers who get shirty with me when they charge me £4.10 for a day rider and I pay with a tenner.
    Thought as much.
    It may be in the interests of the members but is that Unite's motivation? See other Unite lead strikes.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    daviesee wrote:
    It may be in the interests of the members but is that Unite's motivation? See other Unite lead strikes.
    What worries you so much about Unite's motivation?
  • daviesee
    notsoblue wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    What worries you so much about Unite's motivation?
    Doesn't worry me. I just don't think that their members are their main concern.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    If the bus drivers are on strike, what are the odds on the Government/ TFL suspending the operation of the bus Lanes for the day thus making our commutes more difficult as we will be sharing the lane with cars and lorries
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Very low. I doubt theres enough parking spaces for everyone who usually takes the bus to commute in by car.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    notsoblue wrote:
    Very low. I doubt theres enough parking spaces for everyone who usually takes the bus to commute in by car.

If you are replying to me, then you are answering a different question to the one I asked.

I did not suggest everyone would drive to work. I merely suggested that the bus lanes may be suspended if they are not going to be used by buses
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    spen666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

If you are replying to me, then you are answering a different question to the one I asked.

I did not suggest everyone would drive to work. I merely suggested that the bus lanes may be suspended if they are not going to be used by buses
    I doubt that, the lane can be suspended temporarily in a specific area due to road works for instance, but a blanket suspension would not be possible under the provisions of the RTA. Also some busses will run, it wont be a total shutdown. And in any case taxis and and other authorised vehicles are still using them.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently, say the strikers, all other departments of TfL are getting olympic bonuses, except for the buses.

Hence the strike.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Well Metroline were one of the companies that didnt strike (got an injunction?) so plenty of busses around this morning. Situation normal it would seem. And noddergeddon didnt happen, maybe one or two extra...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: