Hangs head in shame

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited June 2012 in Road general
As a recent convert to road cycling as well as a returnee (if there's such a word) to cycling in general after a 4 year lay off, I thought I was doing well averaging 10MPH (considering my situation), a new neighbour moved into a house a few doors down a couple of weeks ago and I was unaware she was a cyclist until yesterday, when I saw her wheel her Giant SCR1 out of the house, I had a few moments with her, wished her a good ride (ooer :oops: :roll: ) and off she went, I was in my garage a few hours later when I heard her talking to the guy next door, I walked over and asked her how far she'd ridden, her computer showed just over 60 miles, I looked at my watch and realised it was less than 3.5 hours since she went out :oops: :oops: .
I daren't show my face in the street again as I'm a cycling failure, but fair play to her, I'm mightily impressed.
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    I returned to cycling back in November after a similar time off the bike ( apologies if you have read this before by me I seem to be repeating myself) 10 mph was all I could manage and the pain, discomfort and the point that everyone was passing me on my commute was unbearable. My answer was to stick with it and I rejoined my local club in February. Joining the club has given me ambition and I've rediscovered how much I enjoyed cycling. I'm now back up to 14 - 15mph solo and 15.5 - 16.5mph group riding and improving all the time. Stick with it and keep training and I'm sure you will get there again.

Have you thought that she may have forgot to reset her computer. I do that all the time!
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    Don't hang your head in shame mate! Get out and enjoy your cycling. Unless your name is Wiggins or Cavendish there will always be someone quicker than you.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    use it as your carrot on a stick to spur you on to get quicker!

not that i'm suggesting that you should chase after your neighbour though!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I must admit Chris, she is definately worth following, but the speed she goes I'd look down to clip in and she'd be gone, I won't give in, it's not in my nature, I'll just have to get out as much as I can, go at my own speed and try to keep improving, the only time my head hangs down is when I'm knackered.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Have a chat with her. Let her know you've just started riding and if she fancies it, you would like to join her when she wants an easier ride.

Just she is faster, doesn't mean that she won't help you out.

Faster people are great motivators.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Have a chat with her. Let her know you've just started riding and if she fancies it, you would like to join her when she wants an easier ride.

Just she is faster, doesn't mean that she won't help you out.

Faster people are great motivators.

Yes do this. I have a ride buddy who's faster & fitter than me, I know I'm his charity case but we both get something from the rides and one day I'll be able to give him a run for his money ...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    FSR_XC wrote:

You could alternatively just go out on your bikes together too! :twisted: :twisted:
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    Don’t worry, I get similar all the time! lol
    Guy I rent a room from goes out at the weekend and does 100+miles then goes for a run. I get back from a meagre handful of miles and can hardly stand up! Kinda puts my efforts to shame, but everyone has to start somewhere :)