bomber troubles

adesaxo31
adesaxo31 Posts: 88
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone this is my first post basically i have cracked the legs on my z1's an have a set of bomber z4s i have put the stantions off my z1 in to the legs of the z4's it all fits together nice BUT the stantions sit 15-20mm higher than they do in the z1 leg because the bottom bolt mount is 15-20mm higher. up the tube does anyone know if it would effect the strength of them with the extra 15-20mm showing any help or is it possible to increase the travel of the z4
p.s. my frame can take the extra rise by 20mm so iv got no worries about the frame all the best ade

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So you have used lowers of a shorter travel fork?

Dont expect then to work very well.

What have you exactly used? Years versions etc.

But new lowers are needed or new uppers and springs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • adesaxo31
    Ya the z4s are 80mm but that doesn't bother me its just the fact of them being slightly higher and they are both 1999the uppers are fine its just the lower legs of the z1's that are cracked thanks for the reply
  • nicklouse
    adesaxo31 wrote:
    Ya the z4s are 80mm but that doesn't bother me its just the fact of them being slightly higher and they are both 1999the uppers are fine its just the lower legs of the z1's that are cracked thanks for the reply

So why are you asking?

The uppers are to long.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • adesaxo31
    im asking whether the extra 20mm is going to comprise the strength of the fork
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see it doing much good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    adesaxo31 wrote:
    im asking whether the extra 20mm is going to comprise the strength of the fork
    It depends on what you have done,

The biggest issue you have is punching out the bottom of the lowers as the lowers are for a shorter travel fork.

Cool bind and bang. Lowers blown out.
  • adesaxo31
    Is there any way i can increase the travel of my z4' instead then thanks for all the help
  • nicklouse
    adesaxo31 wrote:
    Is there any way i can increase the travel of my z4' instead then thanks for all the help
    Nope.

The uppers and lowers were made for certain travel.

Compare the uppers. And then there is the foot plate in different positions in the lowers.
  • adesaxo31
    Ok thanks I'm gutted tho I've had these since 2000 an not seen many of the bomber z1 dual slalom to get spares the crack is on the foot where the bolt tightens the hole for the 20mm axle can this be welded or is the alloy heat treated. and. my other option is to get one milled out of steel at work but i know it will be heavier
  • nicklouse
    They were 130mm?

The legs are 32mm? Just about any Marz 32mm lowers for a 130mm forks should do. Even some of the newer ones with post mounts.....

Not checked the drawings but I can't see why not. I have some post mount lowers on some 2003.5 forks.
  • adesaxo31
    No mate they are 100mm travel and 30mm stantions i think they changed the design in 2003 thanks