My First ever TT

Rushmore
Rushmore Posts: 674
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I'm ew to Road cycling pretty much completely... About 10 rides in total..

Now i've kinda got over the uber wobbling about stage.. I thought i'd enter my first 10 mile TT, as I wanted to set the bench mark as early as possible.. So it will give me some sort of Idea of where I am and will be fitness wise.. ( maybe )

Anyway.. I did a 25:33 which i'm pretty happy with... I know you guys would probably eat that time for breakfast... But I think it's quite a good starting point I hope...

It only gets easier from here right?? :|
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Well done for getting stuck in - not bad at all! No, it doesn't get any easier but thankfully it doesn't last as long as you get faster :)
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    Cracking time that for a first 10. Think you are missing the value for money part,the slower you go the more ride for your money :lol:
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Well done, that really is a cracking time for a first time out.

I done 28:13 on Q10/26 a couple of weeks back on my first ever attempt and was well chuffed with that. Have been doing intervals and hill reps since and will have another go soon :)
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    I love the Isle of Man
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    25:33 is a really good time for a first attempt! Welcome to the world of time trialling.
    Rushmore wrote:
    Ha ha ha ha....You're kidding, right? It never gets easier, you just go faster. Sometimes.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Rushmore
    Cheers fellas... I'm glad it's a respectable time amongst you pros! ;)

So is there any tips that you can give me to get faster? One problem I found was as soon as I got over a certain cadence I started bouncing... Which I'm guessing isn't good as I don't see anyone else getting all zebadee out there..

Is there any way of working towards preventing this so I can spin faster and smoother?

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    Rushmore wrote:

So is there any tips that you can give me to get faster? One problem I found was as soon as I got over a certain cadence I started bouncing... Which I'm guessing isn't good as I don't see anyone else getting all zebadee out there..

Is there any way of working towards preventing this so I can spin faster and smoother?

A fine first 10-miler! I think my first ever was 24:15, and I'd been training like mad and riding everywhere before that.

I think you've almost answered your own question by the use of the word "smoother". I used to push like mad at high cadence (trackie at heart!), and I started bouncing at high cadence. Then I was introduced to the circular pedalling action, and the word souplesse - worked wonders for me, and once mastered, I could quite happily spin like a demented hamster without bouncing.

It may sound daft, but concentrate on your pedalling action, and making it circular. A lot of people only really use the downstroke, when they should also be lifting at the back. This not only gives you a smooth pedalling action, but also makes the downstroke easier as you're not having so much weight on the rising pedal. Not sure I've explained that quite right, but that's pretty much what I changed and it got easier/faster.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Rushmore wrote:

If you start bouncing, select a bigger gear, unless you are bouncing in the 11/12 sprocket, then good on you. If you have a comfortable cadence, select the gear to match this with the wind and road conditions.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I get the feeling they're quite addictive. I did my first proper time trial like event since I started cycling seriously, it was the Richmond Park TT, I really enjoyed it, it wasn't a standard 10 mile course, more a sporting 10.4 I was told, but it was great, and I really liked the fact it was over in such a short amount of time too haha!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    And, of course, you won...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Rushmore wrote:
    I'm ew to Road cycling pretty much completely... About 10 rides in total..

Now i've kinda got over the uber wobbling about stage.. I thought i'd enter my first 10 mile TT, as I wanted to set the bench mark as early as possible.. So it will give me some sort of Idea of where I am and will be fitness wise.. ( maybe )

Anyway.. I did a 25:33 which i'm pretty happy with... I know you guys would probably eat that time for breakfast... But I think it's quite a good starting point I hope...

Just had about 10 rides and got over the wobbling about stage, and you are already doing a first Time Trial in that sort of time! Most of us on this 'Beginners Forum' can only dream of doing that speed (averaging over 23 mph) over 10 miles. If you are that good after so little cycling, I would think you must have potential to be very fast.
  • okgo
    Bondurant wrote:
    And, of course, you won...

Well, that's always a nice ending to a hard ride, but even without that I'd have enjoyed it. The park is wonderful without traffic.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Well I've entered the next one with no chance of winning so I hope you're right!
  • Don't be silly.

25:32 would make you a winner and it's likely that your pacing on first TT would have been terrible. Just having done one before you should be looking for a big chunk of time in improvement.

Go and win against yourself
  • Rushmore wrote:
    I did a 25:33 which i'm pretty happy with...

First time?? Where you a pro athlete before you started cycling?

Thats pretty awesome, ive been cycling (in the sunny mths) since last year and can only manage around a 29min.....
  • okgo
    Guys, it's quick but Hutch did a 19 in his second ever tt!
  • Rushmore
    Don't be silly.

25:32 would make you a winner and it's likely that your pacing on first TT would have been terrible. Just having done one before you should be looking for a big chunk of time in improvement.

Go and win against yourself

indeed... Did my 2nd 10 miler last night and hit a 24:56

Pretty chuffed with that.. it was the fastest non TT bike time of the evening, everyone else faster was sproting those horn bar things and had pointy helmets... ( sorry for my lack of gear to name knowledge.. )

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Would love to do a 10 mile TT in that time.

My fastest 10miles (not a TT) is currently 31:04 so I have some way to go.