anyone know the A19 into doncaster? (from North)

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Is it passable by bike?

Looking at a route from work to doncaster station but dont really know doncaster well. would join A19 at Askern then heading south on A19 all the way to doncaster centre?

Looks a little busy (and possibly narrow and fast?) on streetview. Any locals know it?
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• iclestu
    Is the A638 better?

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't think the A638 is going to be much fun - gets a fair bit of traffic too and from the A1. A19 might not be too bad there. It's a bit grim further North but it might lose a lot of it's traffic to the A1 and M62. I've only driven on it rather than cycling so not really aware of the traffic volumes.

Where are you going from? How about the B6422? It does mean riding through South Elmsall so you'll probably not last long but the road should be quiet!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iclestu
    Rolf F wrote:
    I don't think the A638 is going to be much fun - gets a fair bit of traffic too and from the A1. A19 might not be too bad there. It's a bit grim further North but it might lose a lot of it's traffic to the A1 and M62. I've only driven on it rather than cycling so not really aware of the traffic volumes.

Where are you going from? How about the B6422? It does mean riding through South Elmsall so you'll probably not last long but the road should be quiet!

yeah - thats my fallback.

comming from Normanton so its starting to look a little like the long way round but still ok if needs be

• wac100
    wac100 Posts: 20
    Traffic along the road from Askern to Toll Bar shouldn't be too bad, it's a fairly straight road and wide enough for cars to pass you safely. When you get into Toll Bar and towards Bentley it gets a bit tight with cars parked either side of the road, and schools, so traffic will be a bit busy there at peak times. Just before you get to Bentley High Street there is a mini roundabout where you will be wanting to turn right, this can be a bit on the dangerous side as there is always a constant stream of traffic coming from the right, you just need to be quick. From there it's another straight road into Doncaster, which will be a little busier and moving a bit slower. At the end of that road is a large roundabout with traffic lights, you will need the outside lane to take you across the old bridge into Doncaster, bringing you out by the new Bus Station.

Hope that helps. :D
  • iclestu
    wac100 wrote:
    - loadsa helpful local stuff -

Hope that helps. :D

It certainly does. Many thanks!

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iclestu wrote:
    comming from Normanton so its starting to look a little like the long way round but still ok if needs be

I think that it's generally accepted that any route out of Normanton is the right one. However, equally I think all routes into Doncaster are the wrong ones...... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......