Londoners - Parking space?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,086
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Bit of a long shot, but I'm driving to London to begin London to Paris in July. Anyone got a parking spot I can leave a car at for a few days? Coming back on the Eurostar so somewhere reasonably safe and close to St Pancras would be bang on useful.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Have you a first-born to trade?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • heavymental
    Unfortunately not... just a bottle of cheap plonk and a chorizo from E.Leclerc.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    I'm not from London but i'd bet my left kidney that I couldn't rent a parking space near st Pancreas* for cheaper than the cost of my right kidney.

Methinks you need a rethink on your travel arrangements?

* you see what ive done there? keeping the anatomical thing going? you see? TAXI?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    What is this parking spot you speak of?:P
  • there is a website where people rent out their spaces, not sdure what it's called, get googling, will be cheaper than anything official!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    surely its easier getting a train there??
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    You'll have a bike right? Just find a nice-looking residential road in the 'burbs which doesn't have resident's parking (ie somewhere a reasonable distance from the nearest tube), ride into London, and then ride back from St Pancras afterwards...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Heavymental, I'm also doing the L2P24 in July. This doesn't help you at all. However, short of getting a residents' spot from somebody a taxi at either end with bike and kit will be cheaper than paying for parking.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    TGOTB wrote:
    You'll have a bike right? Just find a nice-looking residential road in the 'burbs which doesn't have resident's parking (ie somewhere a reasonable distance from the nearest tube), ride into London, and then ride back from St Pancras afterwards...

Argh! The bloody bane of Londoners existence! People who commute in by car from out in the country/burbs and then plonk their cars in your street all day and catch the train/ride their Brompton from zone 2 or zone 3 or wherever... I haven't got a car but there are no parking restrictions on my road and a lot of locals are desperate for the council to implement a CPZ to get rid of all the bloody commuters who block up local streets... It's a very thorny issue....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited June 2012
    Right people, hold your hats, I have knowledge of a FREE parking space near Kings Cross (so not far from St Pancras) with NO restrictions.
    I've used it for a few years now and once when an overzealous traffic warden gave me a ticket, I successfully got it rescinded as it is legal to park there.

Here it is peeps: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 1&t=m&z=19

edit: I've just had a look at the Streetview and it looks like there is now a yellow line. The last time I used it there was a thin yellow line, but my appeal was that it was too thin to be legal (there is a minimum dimension and this didn't comply). I might go past there soon so I will update this as to the state of the yellow line.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Argh! The bloody bane of Londoners existence! People who commute in by car from out in the country/burbs and then plonk their cars in your street all day and catch the train/ride their Brompton from zone 2 or zone 3 or wherever... I haven't got a car but there are no parking restrictions on my road and a lot of locals are desperate for the council to implement a CPZ to get rid of all the bloody commuters who block up local streets... It's a very thorny issue....

you're telling me. I live on a private road which is about 2 minutes from the station and as I was leaving the other day, a guy in a Porsche drives into our little private cul-de-sac, parks, looks at me, shrugs and heads off to the station. So I keyed his car. LOL.*

*not really.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    . So I keyed his car. LOL.*

*not really.

You mean you keyed his car and didn't laugh out loud? How restrained of you. You should've jumped on the soft top too. Porsche drivers hate that.
  • Stevo C
    Stevo C Posts: 132
    I lived in Crouch End until recently, which is 4-5miles north of St Pancras. Not so long ago, the local paper was full of stories about how car hire companies at Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston were parking their cars on the south side of Crouch End as it was the closest street to the stations without residents parking - so that'll be 4 miles!!!

Most of Crouch End has residents parking now - it's only the north side and up to Muswell Hill that doesn't.

I'm sure I've also read that there isn't a street in Camden or Islington that doesn't have some form of parking restriction.

Your best bet maybe to find someone who has vistors permits for their residents parking. I live in Haringey and it's about £4 a day for a vistors permit - but then I'm 5 miles from St Pancras
    cheers

Steve
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Weekend?

There are a few streets in Kentish Town which are uncontrolled at weekends.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657

you're telling me. I live on a private road which is about 2 minutes from the station and as I was leaving the other day, a guy in a Porsche drives into our little private cul-de-sac, parks, looks at me, shrugs and heads off to the station. So I keyed his car. LOL.*

*not really.
    In my road someone (not sure who but we have our views) sticks an a4 sheet of high quality gloss printer paper printed 'Dont park here' to the windscreen with copydex - it'll come off but not without hot water and a whole load of scrubbing; takes about an hour to remove it and clean the screen. It seems to work tho, the inconvenience factor means they only park there once...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Headhuunter
    Stevo C wrote:
    I lived in Crouch End until recently, which is 4-5miles north of St Pancras. Not so long ago, the local paper was full of stories about how car hire companies at Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston were parking their cars on the south side of Crouch End as it was the closest street to the stations without residents parking - so that'll be 4 miles!!!

Most of Crouch End has residents parking now - it's only the north side and up to Muswell Hill that doesn't.

I'm sure I've also read that there isn't a street in Camden or Islington that doesn't have some form of parking restriction.

Your best bet maybe to find someone who has vistors permits for their residents parking. I live in Haringey and it's about £4 a day for a vistors permit - but then I'm 5 miles from St Pancras

As well as all the bloody commuters'cars, a van hire company started to use roads near me as general free car park for its beaten up vans
  • Headhuunter
    Stevo C wrote:

As well as all the bloody commuters'cars, a van hire company started to use roads near me as general free car park for its beaten up vans
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

*not really.
    In my road someone (not sure who but we have our views) sticks an a4 sheet of high quality gloss printer paper printed 'Dont park here' to the windscreen with copydex - it'll come off but not without hot water and a whole load of scrubbing; takes about an hour to remove it and clean the screen. It seems to work tho, the inconvenience factor means they only park there once...

We did this at work for people from around the commercial park who used our car park for their cars. It's positively evil stuff and well recommended as a method to stop repeat offenders.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    noted.
  • heavymental
    Hmmm. Thats a no then generally. Will have to have a little thinky and a little planny.

Was hoping one of you would have some lovely gravel drive I could merrily crunch down and park for a few days. My only worry would be washing off the sticky sap and maybe the odd bird poop that had fallen from the swaying leaves of the sycamore tree under which I had left it in blissful seclusion. The reality is quite different. Damn london town. The place is a seething mass of yellow lines and angry citizens furious at the intrusion of us country folk thinking we can park willy nilly on their hallowed highways.