What present should I buy for a newbie biker?

mikkybgs
mikkybgs Posts: 78
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi people,

It's my brothers birthday this week (I know I left it late!) and he has recently purchased a mountain bike (Although he's still awaiting delivery of the bike)
Anyhow, I'm wanting to get him something related to biking for his birthday and was wondering what everyone suggests?

I thought a good idea might be to get a saddle bag and stuff it with an inner tube, levers, multi tool, and puncture repair kit - like a bike first aid kit! or is this too boring?

Other ideas I had were:
GLOVES
GLASSES
PEDALS (as the standard ones fitted to the bike I suspect will be rubbish)
GRIPS (Same as reason above)
DRINK CAGE/BOTTLE
LIGHTS

What do you think is a good beginner present? All your comments/ advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Whether riding on or off road a basic toolkit is always a good idea.
    tyre levers (2 min, 3 better)
    puncture repair kit
    a multitool - in basic form just allen keys from 2mm to 6mm, more complex ones feature chain breakers and screwdrive heads
    a spare inner tube > you'll need to know the tyre size he has, and the type of valve - probably Schrader (as car tyres), but road bikes and some MTBs use the finer Presta valve
    A nice small under saddle bag is useful for carrying all these items !

If he intends doing longer rides such as off - road trails then a backpack/hydration pack is useful allowing him to carry 1.5-2l of fluid and drink as he rides.Tesco do one complete with the bladder and drinking tube for just over £7 and is more than a match for £40 versions from the cycle brands.
  • mikkybgs
    Whether riding on or off road a basic toolkit is always a good idea.
    tyre levers (2 min, 3 better)
    puncture repair kit
    a multitool - in basic form just allen keys from 2mm to 6mm, more complex ones feature chain breakers and screwdrive heads
    a spare inner tube > you'll need to know the tyre size he has, and the type of valve - probably Schrader (as car tyres), but road bikes and some MTBs use the finer Presta valve
    A nice small under saddle bag is useful for carrying all these items !

If he intends doing longer rides such as off - road trails then a backpack/hydration pack is useful allowing him to carry 1.5-2l of fluid and drink as he rides.Tesco do one complete with the bladder and drinking tube for just over £7 and is more than a match for £40 versions from the cycle brands.

Hydration pack sounds like a good idea. Just not sure how far he'll be travelling at this point. Perhaps a bottle and cage will suffice for now and go for the saddle bag option too.....

Thanks for the idea...
  • mikkybgs
    Still taking ideas......? This is a plea for help!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited June 2012
    Hip flask + single malt
    Park Tools mug
    Race Face pint glass
    Strength In Numbers/From The Inside Out/Follow Me/Life Cycles/3 Minute Gaps/Vast/Seasons
    Chain Reaction vouchers
    Anything from Lezyne
    Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes
  • hydration pack is now £11 something in Tesco. Noticed they have a saddle bag (Ca £10) now too, and also the multitools (several different ones, the type with chain breakers were £11) - probably only available in the bigger stores though

I'd steer clear of gloves as they can be a personal thing (short or full finger coverage, gel pads etc) as weel as fit/size.

Lights is another mindfield - loads out there, size type etc. From £4 to £400 !

£30 in Tesco would have got..
    multitool
    saddle bag
    puncture kit
    spare inner tube
    bottle cage and bottle
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I'd get him a hydration pack... Bottle cage and bottle is a pain in the backside tbh... So much easier to use a hydration pack. Plus if you got him a decent hydration pack there will be room to keep multitool etc in there... Much better idea
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hydration pack from Tesco (unbeatable at that price)
    or
    Decent Multitool (not Tesco), I like Lezyne and the chain tool works!
    Aldi/Lidl do the best value saddle bags but not really needed with that Hydration pack, put the stuff in there!
    Spare tubes (make sure you get the right valve)
    What budget? A skills session (around £60-80) would be a great buy.
    Bottles and cages work OK for roadies, for an MTB 80+% prefer a hydration pack.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Chaincleaner , Multi-tool or pump.
  • mikkybgs
    These are all great options, thanks guys (and any gals).

Hydration pack sounds good, will investigate that Tesco one......

May even chuck in a few extra things......if he's lucky.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    If you go for a pump... Get a track pump
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Shorts. Pedals. Shoes. Cheap GPS so he can see where he's been - and so he can become addicted to Strava (he may already have GPS on a phone).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I'd say track pump, good quality small hand pump (Lezyne?) and decent multi tool rather than going for the very cheapest.

If it were me I'd rather have 1 or two good quality items than lots of bits and bobs.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Track Pump or Multi-Tool. Failing that, wiggle vouchers.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Padded liner for his shorts!! that way his butt wont hurt after the first few rides and be put off!!! :-D

as above, allen keys, Park do a great set will pretty much all you'll need for a tenner, Great quality allens, pump, repair kit, tyre levers etc. basic essential kit really!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481