Hi all- question about my Kona...

Stuart-88
Stuart-88 Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi all, I bought my Kona Five-0 back in January and have used it regularly since then on commutes etc. I'd say by now it has possibly done about 400 miles. I gave it a good clean the other day and noticed the avid juicy 3's resevoir is leaking slightly, just weeping no more. Is this a common problem on these or something that is possibly under warranty? Thought I'd put some pics up of her whilst I'm at it too. I'm new here and any help will be greatly appreciated!

0d359863.jpg
cb7fc80a.jpg

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Pics of the problem would be better, but it sounds like the diaphragm/top cap seal has gone.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah they do that, as bennett said, sounds like the diaphragm is knackered or just needs re-seating.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stuart-88
    I shall get a pic tomorrow of it. I take it the seal would just be a case of replacing and getting them re-bled? Thanks for the replies.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited June 2012
    No need to bleed, just replace the diaphragm.
    Or just check the cover doen't need tightening up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stuart-88
    Ok massive noob question now then, what part is the diaphragm?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    No need to bleed, just replace the BRAKES
    Ride them till they fail, then replace. In the meantime, save up for something better. I despise Juicys.

Nice bike, otherwise though. I've always liked Kona hardtails.
  • cooldad
    Juicy 3's do seem to get more than their fair share of moans.
    The diaphragm is the rubber bit under the lid.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I had some that ate through the diaphragm then the lids in succession.

They did actually still work though, somehow.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Basically - losen the brake lever and set it so the reservoir is horizontal to the ground. Remove the little cover on the reservoir (the small pot or fluid container along side the lever). Underneath there should be a rubber seal/cover thing pop it back into its normal shape, reseat and recover.

Test brakes.

If not better or still leaking maybe see your supplier and get them to look at it.

Juicy 3's dont get a great press, should be OK though for moderate use, getting them fixed if the above doesn't work shouldn't be hugely costly.

Ignore YeeHaa he's a bitter, bitter man. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I gave it a good clean the other day and noticed the avid juicy 3's resevoir is leaking slightly, just weeping no more.

so what was weeping? brake fluid or water-

do your brakes still work the same? then dont worry.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stuart-88
    Hi thanks for replies. Yeah it's definitely the brake fluid weeping as the paint on the reservoir cap has started peeling, which I'm pretty sure that's what brake fluid does over time. I'll take your advise and see if I can re-position the seal and go from there. Pretty annoyed considering how much I paid for the bike though it's not te first problem I had with it. There was a scratch on the frame on delivery. Then on my first ride I got a puncture, te valve had ripped open and on further inspection they had some crappy chingchang innertubes in there. I expected more from CRC!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i bet the fluid is only the remanents from the original build. is it comeing from the breath hole or the edge?
    nip the bolts up first.

CRC dont fit the tubes. CRC dont blow them up for you.

most bikes come with the cheapest tubes possible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    YeeHaa he's a bitter, bitter man. :wink:
    Very true, but I stand by my comment.
  • Stuart-88
    In that case I expected more from Kona! Yeah it's coming from the reservoir edges.
  • cooldad
    Stuart-88 wrote:
    Then on my first ride I got a puncture, te valve had ripped open and on further inspection they had some crappy chingchang innertubes in there. I expected more from CRC!
    Stuart-88 wrote:
    In that case I expected more from Kona! Yeah it's coming from the reservoir edges.
    I think you mean Cheng Shin tubes. As a matter of interest, Cheng Shin sell tyres as well, as Maxxis. Certainly not rubbish.
    Just thought you'd like to know.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stuart-88
    Can't remember the exact name. But they felt no thicker than tracing paper. When I looked at the other innertube I managed to rip clean off the valve! I use continental usually and they are far superior. I wouldn't rate them any higher than rubbish personally.
  • cooldad
    You ripped a valve off just looking at it?
    Are you Chuck Norris?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stuart-88
    cooldad wrote:
    You ripped a valve off just looking at it?
    Are you Chuck Norris?

Unfortunately no :) But I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain what I meant in that much detail.
  • Stuart-88
    But as for maxxis, they are brilliant, didn't know they were made by the same company. I'm selling some high rollers and dhf that came with it. They're good but too much hard work for a road commute each day! And I don't get to do enough trails as I would like to.