HEADSET: does this look right to you?

mrpiglet
mrpiglet Posts: 42
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
FRAME: Ragley Piglet
HEADSET: On One Smoothie Light

822e6aaf.jpg

9c08a160.jpg

Picked my bike up from the LBS who fitted the new headset. When I got home I looked and noticed that the top cup looks like it should be pushed in further. What do you think?

photo of headset from ON ONE website

HSOOSL-118-BLK-EXT_P2.JPG

Comments

• Jimfrandisco
    Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
    Nope, not at all - bottom of the cup should be flush with the frame. No idea why they wouldn't have fitted it properly, unless something was blocking it going in further - in which case they should have removed it and recommended a different headset.

Cheers

Jim
  • mrpiglet
    thought so!
    thanks the reply...back to LBS!
  • thats definately not right!! the top cup looks like it needs to come down another 5mm!
    take it back and ask them why its like that?? hopefully they'll smile, appologise and sort it for you!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • mrpiglet
    thats definitely not right!! the top cup looks like it needs to come down another 5mm!
    take it back and ask them why its like that?? hopefully they'll smile, appologise and sort it for you!!

hopefully!
    going to phone them up tomorrow and take it in after work as their open till 8 for time trials on Wednesdays. Fingers crossed they sort it there and then as I'm meeting friends at 7 to ride! :lol: :?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Maybe a daft question but is the headset the right one?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It does look like it has a deep insert on the cups. I wonder if the frame is cut deep enough.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That's what i was thinking, though you'd think the LBS would discuss it with him at some point before handing it back. Or just not fit it in the first place, but you know.
  • mrpiglet
    thanks for all the replies!

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow!
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    looking at ther pctures, it seems the headest had a deliberate step in it, meaning that's how far in it goes without damaging the headtube
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looking at ther pctures, it seems the headest had a deliberate step in it, meaning that's how far in it goes without damaging the headtube
    which picture is this?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    in fact... ignore me. I should learn not to reply to posts where I need to look properly before 9:00 :lol: