Carrying tools/tubes

Dan_Giant
Dan_Giant Posts: 72
edited June 2012 in Road general
What do you guys and girls use to carry your basic tools/spare tube when on a ride?

I've got an old Topeak seat bag which is great, however i can't have that fitted, as well as rear light and reflector as they both only fit on the seat post.

I remember years ago seeing a triangle shaped frame bag, so might look into that. But thought i'd see what others recommend. Not looking to break the bank.

Cheers

Dan

Comments

• BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    A pocket. Cost - nothing
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    A lot of people don't like bags and prefer to stuff such things I their jersey pockets.

You don't have much seat post showing if you can't have a light and a small bag.

I prefer a bag. Most bags have a loop on the back which is designed to clip a light onto like this.
    5669_320792_1.jpg

Here's mine. 2 lights in winter, just in case 1 fails. 1 on the bag and 1 on the seat post.
    DSCF3093.JPG
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    All 3 of my regular bikes are set up for a small Topeak seatpost bag and a small LED light underneath (I'm 6ft so maybe have the extra seatpost exposure). The bag for each takes a small multitool, small puncture kit, a couple of tyre levers, spare inner tube and a few bits and bobs such as chain links). I occasionally used a frame bag as well, but that can get in the way when honking up hills, so tend not to use that only for really long rides and tours.
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I also have one of the Topeak seatpost bags, with one light mounted on the seat post below it. And another mounted on the right hand seat stay (just above the back brake).
    In my little bag i carry 2 spare tubes, a pair of tyre levers, a multi tool, and a couple of cable ties. I also carry a mini pump mounted next to my bottle cage. And have a Co2 inflator with 2 cartridges and some self adhesive patches in a pouch that i carry in my jersey pocket.
    Might seem like overkill, but it stems from days out mountain biking, and the guarantee that whatever your not carrying is the thing you'll need most.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Dan_Giant
    Think its probably more the fact the bag i have is rather large. I have probably about an inch of seat post left before the min mark. Im still fiddling with seat height to be fair though. I can have it at its highest but don't know how i will get on with any distance yet. I'm 6'2 so the seat is fairly high up already. As you can see the bag pushes the light down towards the floor, making it less effective.

DSC_3033.jpg

DSC_3029.jpg

I did think about just stuffing them in my pocket. Will have to give this a try, but i think i might just find it a little uncomfortable having a heavyish multitool clanging around.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Why do you need to carry a multitool?
  • Dan_Giant
    Well i suppose there isn't any real need as the wheels are quick release, but punctures aren't the only thing that could go wrong. Better to be prepared than to be miles from home and not be able to fix something.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You shouldn't carry metal in your back pockets, one dodgy crash and you cod end up with something stuck in the wrong place. Altura do a under saddle bag that's tapered and spot on in medium size, Some of the above look like suitcases in comparison.
  • Dan_Giant
    Bozman wrote:
    You shouldn't carry metal in your back pockets, one dodgy crash and you cod end up with something stuck in the wrong place. Altura do a under saddle bag that's tapered and spot on in medium size, Some of the above look like suitcases in comparison.

Hadn't thought of that, so good point. Will have to look into it some more i think.

Have told the misses that for now if i get any issues while out on the bike she can come and pick me up in the car :lol:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Can you flip the light mount upside down to give better clearance under the saddle bag?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Bozman wrote:
    +1 for using saddlebags.
  • djone101
    djone101 Posts: 29
    Another option is to stick stuff in a spare bottle....
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

You never know when you'll need one. Gear/brake cables could come loose or even break. How would you tighten a replacement if you're miles from home? Cleats, pedals could come loose. Many number of things.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    djone101 wrote:

this is what I do, manage to get two inner tubes, 3 tyre levers and a mini pump in the one bottle! multi tool goes in the back pocket of my top and i'm away!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    I too use a stash bottle - spare inner, mini pump, tool kit, puncture repair kit, money, latex gloves + emergency gel.

So far had to repair punctures, switch inners and bodge a chain .. oh and use the ermergency gel.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Gizmodo
    djone101 wrote:
    If you do short rides this is a good option. I just got back from a 70 mile ride today and I've emptied both of my 750ml bidons. I personally don't have a spare bottle cage.
  • daxplusplus
    Spare bottle in your jersey if you need it?

Or http://bontrager.com/model/07758 .. a Rear Cage Holder?

strava profile
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I never understand why cyclists wouldn't use a seat bag? Stuff doesn't weigh any less if it's in your pocket, it's also inconvenient having to put it in pockets and remove it again, at least with a seat bag it stays there. Plus carting everything in pockets makes it difficult to put your hand on what you need. I keep sweets in my pocket, and that's it.

I'd like to hear of a genuine advantage of using pockets, I can't find one.
    Ridley Orion
  • daxplusplus
    I've got three rear lights on my seat post below the saddle .. so no room for bag (I've got one and used to use it but no more). I don't want to remove the lights (pain to install in the first place). Why 3 lights - long story but it would be 2 at the minimum - so would still be no room.

strava profile
  • Gizmodo
    I never understand why cyclists wouldn't use a seat bag? Stuff doesn't weigh any less if it's in your pocket, it's also inconvenient having to put it in pockets and remove it again, at least with a seat bag it stays there. Plus carting everything in pockets makes it difficult to put your hand on what you need. I keep sweets in my pocket, and that's it.

I agree with you. The only argument that I've heard that makes some sense is from people with several bikes. Rather than swapping a bag between different bikes, put things in your pockets. Personally my pockets are full of phone, waterproof and food.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tbh the tools and spare you require are generally cheap - so basic spares in the bag - anything more will have to go elsewhere - phone and cash in pockets - along with any food etc.
    The most expensive bit fr me is the pump - I should get another but not yet! ;)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Gizmodo wrote:

I agree with you. The only argument that I've heard that makes some sense is from people with several bikes. Rather than swapping a bag between different bikes, put things in your pockets. Personally my pockets are full of phone, waterproof and food.

I also agree with this, but don't really see the problem with swapping the bag between bikes. My Topeak takes less than a minute to swap over.

The bikes do look nicer without it though :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I use a tool bottle. One bottle of drink is good for up to about 3 hours and there's always somewhere to stop for a refill.

As for the multitool - why carry several allen keys plus other crap when all you need are 2 or 3 allen keys? I just carry the ones I need for my bike - 3.

Oh and I prefer not to use a seatpack because I think they look sh!t.
    More problems but still living....
  • Dan_Giant
    Well after a quick trip into my LBS I came out with a specialized mini wedgie seat bag. Just big enough for tools, tube and repair kit. Nice and tidy and plenty of room for light and reflector.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Gizmodo wrote:

Put your phone in your saddlebag. I know someone who had an off and his phone was in his jersey pocket. As a result, the phone was broken and he couldn't call for help. Not ideal.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    words & pictures

For a start, turn your light upside down.

Think of buying one with an integrated reflector.

A bit of fettling with a spare light clamp & a small metal bracer/ reinforcement type bar from a hardware store, or an old style front reflector arm and you can have the clamp on the seatpost and offset the light diagonally down & backwards to give better clearance under the bag.

Get a smaller bag. (edit : or in my case, read all the thread before hitting quote :-D)
  • Dan_Giant

Get a smaller bag. (edit : or in my case, read all the thread before hitting quote :-D)

haha, not to worry.

As well as the new bag i have turned the light upside down and it and the reflector are much lower and clear of the bag. New bag looks much tidier too.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

You never know when you'll need one. Gear/brake cables could come loose or even break. How would you tighten a replacement if you're miles from home? Cleats, pedals could come loose. Many number of things.

Most recent incident I had was the bolt attaching my rear brake to the frame becoming loose. This cause one brake to rub against the wheel until I re-centred it and tightened the bolt.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5